Temps rising and sharks moving in.

Scallen2112

The water temps in the St Simons area are finally on the rise. Marked temps of 65-66 in the sound and Atlantic in front of the islands today. The whiting are in full force, and the smaller species of sharks have started moving in. Bonnetheads are already back in the sound and stealing shrimp and light leaders alike. Browns and Atlantic Sharpnose are in the deeper channels. Had a nice one break a 50lb leader on me today.

Ihunt

Thanks for the update

Scallen2112

Went back out today. Ran out about 2-1/2 miles to get into clear water, then circled around to some shoals and posted up in about 12' of water. Water temp was 63-64. Caught four Browns (or Duskies - I can't tell them apart) and a nice Atlantic Sharpnose. Had a big something that managed to bite through a 250 lb mono leader:eek:

Oh and also caught this:

927BD4.jpg

41-1/2" - They should still be hanging around for the next couple of weeks, though not in the numbers you would find in the fall.

Rob G

Fishing

Nice Catch!

Went out for a couple of hours on Saturday (Ossabaw Sound). I was trying to catch redfish. Ended up landing 2 4ft+ sharks and a blue fish. I was bottom fishing some sandbar ledges with some cut bluefish (all I had left from last years frozen bait stock). Water temp was 64. Going to try again tomorrow.

What bait did use to catch the redfish?

Ihunt

I would say your big something was a much bigger shark. I’ll be down May the 20th for one day.

Scallen2112

I would say your big something was a much bigger shark. I’ll be down May the 20th for one day.

Without a doubt. I just don't know what kind. We do have bull sharks, lemons, sand tigers and other large sharks here, though it is still a little cool for them.

Ihunt

Any luck this weekend Scallen?

Scallen2112

Any luck this weekend Scallen?

Only got to fish one day, and it was really too rough for the little boat. Lauched behind Jekyll and went up the creek beside the causeway. Found temp in the back of it up to 73 degrees comming off a flat, but no trout or redfish. Did have a really large bonnethead give me a run for my money. We came in to get out of the wind and caught this guy in the salt lake at the ramp.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=918036