John deer riding mower

SwampMoss

I was thinking fuel problem which has already been mentioned but you said your problems all started when you hit a rock while mowing. It want take long to check it.

brunofishing

In line fuel filter going bad. The paper elements get week over time and collapse after running for awhile. after sitting for an extended period of tome the go back to normal shape, but it will collapse completely here before long. That's one of the first things we used to change when encountering fuel problems when I worked on small engines

Bingo! Bad fuel filter my JD did the same thing!

meatseeker

Replace air filter. A dirty one will cause that sometimes. Dirty air filters probably kill more lawn mowers than anything. Imo

K80Shooter

Well what's the verdict? Have you found the problem or has all the rain kept you from working on it. I just always like to see how things play out in these type things.

It was not the key way. I replaced the fuel filter and she runs fine at idle. I will put her to work this week when it dries out to see how long she'll go.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
It is the solid state ignition or the coil. They get hot and breakdown. When they cool, it will run again. Fire that sucker up, run up the engine wide open, and let it run til it quits. Jerk the sparkplug out and check for spark. I don't think you will have any.

You will then have to replace the coil or the the solid state ignition. Inspect the coil very closely. I bet you will find one or more small cracks in the plastic covering the coil.

my money is on the coil

rjcruiser

It is the solid state ignition or the coil. They get hot and breakdown. When they cool, it will run again. Fire that sucker up, run up the engine wide open, and let it run til it quits. Jerk the sparkplug out and check for spark. I don't think you will have any.

You will then have to replace the coil or the the solid state ignition. Inspect the coil very closely. I bet you will find one or more small cracks in the plastic covering the coil.

my money is on the coil

This.

LOL...I was reading your description and I thought ignition coil. Had one on a mower do that exact thing. I saw that there was a page full of responses and was sure that someone had put coil down...and nope...not until the last post.

Use a business card to space it...bolt it on and I bet it purrs like a kitten.

It is not the coil. I already checked for spark, and I have spark coming from both spark plugs. It is really confusing me. I think I will know about the fuel filter when I cut grass the next time.

I do notice that when its parked, one blade spins freely while the other blade doesn't spin so free. Other than that, there are no red flags. It just cuts off after about 20 minutes.

K80Shooter

Did you ever check to make sure the air fins under the engine cover are not blocked? Sure sounds like one I had that did the same thing.

I hope I'm not jinxing myself, but after replacing the fuel filter, I ran it pretty hard yesterday evening for about 1 hour, and it ran perfect. The old one did not look dirty at all, but maybe the fins were weak like recommended above. Thanks for all replies.

K80Shooter

Great