Australian winter peas

Was wondering if anyone had ever planted just australian winter peas in their food plots before and how well they did? We planted some this weekend up around Johnson County and was just curious.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Was wondering if anyone had ever planted just australian winter peas in their food plots before and how well they did? We planted some this weekend up around Johnson County and was just curious.

I've never had a deer give them a glance. I've heard of other folks having success with them, but I just didn't, so I never tried them again.

Luckybuck

Planted plots in Heard County and they did fantastic. Have to be large enough to keep deer from mowing down.

thomasr

Planted them last year and the deer walked through them to get to the soy beans. Never touched them till everything else was gone, and then reluctantly. Guess it was something new to them and they weren't interested in giving it a try.

Is it Australian or Austrian? Or are they two different kinds?

It's Austrian.

We've planted them. but the deer hit them as soon as they come up and that's that. We plant them as part of a fall mix. I've never seen a mature AWP plant.

doe shooter

Generally, the deer on our club will keep the plants mowed down. Except on one food plot. For some reason, the deer never did eat'em. Overall, i like to plant the winter pea. They will add nitrogen to the soil and will survive in the cold. Even if they don't eat them early in the season, by the end of the season, they will be in the peas.

BowanaLee

Yup, wore em out. They don't recover much though. Got em out this year too.

HDDyna06

If your planting them as a stand alone, better get ready to spray them until they mature. Once they cut the stem at the base, they will not recover.

Rob

I read something from East Al hunter explaining the different flowering varieties. I had really good luck with them in S. Ga but my plot two years ago did not get eaten until they produced sead in the spring. Based on what E. Al Hunter said you want the white flowering variety

j_seph

Planted em with wheat and oats and they fed on the wheat and oats until the pea got to a certain stage and mowed em down in Talliaferro county. Planted 50lbs locally this year and planting em in Tali. as well