Barrel length

stabow

Question: Is there a minimum barrel length in Georgia for hand gun hunting, I was told by someone that it was 6" barrel.

frankwright

No Limit. You can hunt with a .25 caliber derringer as long as it is using an expanding type bullet.

Reactions: Dub

rosewood

Frank is correct.

I believe many moons ago there was a barrel length requirement and a minimum energy requirement. All restrictions have been removed save centerfire, 22 caliber or larger, expanding.

I think the confusion comes in because different states have rules such as that. Some states have a max of 5 round mag for a rifle, so when someone sees a mag that says "5 round hunting mag" they think that is the law here, but it is not.

Rosewood

GunnSmokeer

yay, I can use this in a couple of weeks!

Attachments

• Stainless M60.jpg
    Stainless M60.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 823

GunnSmokeer

But, serious answer, NO, there's no barrel length needed per Georgia laws or DNR regulations.

I would hunt deer in thick woods with a 4" or 5" barreled handgun (in the right caliber), and my good friend HAS bagged deer with a 5" barreled 1911 style pistol.

Shooting hot .45 acp +P loads and with the gun wearing a red dot optic, he had good success. He'd limit his shots to what distance an archer with a compound bow might consider good range, and it worked.

Reactions: Dub

Steve08

yay, I can use this in a couple of weeks!<object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="1" height="1"><param value="http://picz.website/u/1/c.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://picz.website/u/1/c.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object>
Looks good to me :)

Robust Redhorse

It used to be 6" with adjustable sights with some muzzle energy requirements. Now, it pretty much any center fire handgun.

My advice for (for what is worth) is at least the power of a 40 S&W, with good bullets, that you can use as if it is a bow.

GunnSmokeer

Just a few weeks ago, around Thanksgiving time, I was looking at small .380 pistols at a local gun shop and shooting range. I said jokingly to the clerk, "It will be for pocket carry and deer hunting, but only with expanding-bullet ammo!" I smiled, indicating it was a joke. He looked at me very seriously and said something like "No sir, that's unlawful. The barrel's not long enough."

I replied, "Well, I'm not saying it's a good gun to hunt with, and I'm not saying I would be effective in bagging my deer humanely. I really wouldn't do it at all with a small pistol I was just joking. But it "IS" legal. I've read the wildlife regs and Fish and Game laws in the Code books."

He assured me that I was wrong and Georgia had a minimum barrel length to hunt deer with a handgun.

TomC

Regardless of the law a 6" barrel will drastically improve accuracy and increase velocity as well. I was amazed at how much my accuracy improved when I went from a stock barrel in a Glock 20 to a 6" KKM. Shoot whatever you want but a 6" barrel makes a lot sense for hunting, particularly if you are hunting with a less than ideal pistol caliber like a 45 ACP or a 40.