Blue Ridge Smallmouth News

Quackmasterofgeorgia

They definitely realize that they are a major problem, but I think they also realize that it's an exercise in futility after they're established. In the last few years, NC has went to open limits on spots in a few lakes. I don't know if it helps or not.

It's also futile to throw smallmouths in a lake with spots, it's better if a person can keep 100 spots instead of just 10. In some way removing the limit will help.

GA BASS ODYSSEY

Blue Ridge is the last native Smallmouth lake In GA. DnR needs to do what they did on the Satilla River (Shoking Flatheads up)to control the spots. Remove limits on spots. Hold spot only most fish win tournaments regularly where no fish are released back. There is more they can do with some that wont cost the state a dime.

Quackmasterofgeorgia

Blue Ridge is the last native Smallmouth lake In GA. DnR needs to do what they did on the Satilla River (Shoking Flatheads up)to control the spots. Remove limits on spots. Hold spot only most fish win tournaments regularly where no fish are released back. There is more they can do with some that wont cost the state a dime.
This is what needs to happen, but according to the chief of fisheries not enough people keep spots to remove the limit on them.

lampern

I doubt if stocking will do much good unless the spots are eradicated, which is about impossible. A bucketful of spots has ruined many of a good lake with a thriving smallmouth population.

Actually stocking fish should do some good provided the fish are large enough to avoid most predation.

South Carolina stocks smallmouths into Lakes Jocassee and Keowee that have lots of spots and people catch some nice smallies.

The key is stocking a high density to overcome predation and other factors.

Water Swat

Sounds like a waste of money. Why wouldn't these get eaten like the rest of the bass fry in the lake since the spots were introduced ?

lampern

They definitely realize that they are a major problem, but I think they also realize that it's an exercise in futility after they're established. In the last few years, NC has went to open limits on spots in a few lakes. I don't know if it helps or not.

There are no open limits on spots in NC.

The limit for most lakes is 5 fish, 2 can be less than 14 inches.

I'd love to see no size limits on any spots though.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
There are no open limits on spots in NC.

The limit for most lakes is 5 fish, 2 can be less than 14 inches.

I'd love to see no size limits on any spots though.

Yep, there are. Santeetlah has no size limit and no creel limit for bass under 14 inches. Guess why?

Chatuge has no size limit on spots, and the creel limit is doubled to ten.

These have been enacted recently. I would expect more of the same in the future, maybe. In most of our lakes infested with spots, very few of them reach the 14-inch minimum size limit.

lampern

Yep, there are. Santeetlah has no size limit and no creel limit for bass under 14 inches. Guess why?

Chatuge has no size limit on spots, and the creel limit is doubled to ten.

These have been enacted recently. I would expect more of the same in the future, maybe. In most of our lakes infested with spots, very few of them reach the 14-inch minimum size limit.

The regulations at Chatuge were changed to match the GA regulations were they not, nothing more or less?

No idea about Santeetlah. Sorry to hear its full of spots now.

Fontana is full of spots as well apparently.