What grouping at what yardage?

RockyMountainBasser

I am just wondering, for consistence kills in the field, what is the base line grouping for each set of yardage marks, starting at 20 yards?

I have seen 2" group @ 20, 3" group @ 30, etc., but I want to know what is the common middle ground for what is acceptable in training for hunting situations.

The Fever

Middle ground? What you described is the baseline standard. My personal goal is half of the distance I am shooting in inches. 3 inch at 60 for example.

If you aren't scared of shooting the same dot at 20, you need to practice some more.

The Fever

Honestly, with shooting a 15 arrows a day, 5 days a week. That's 60 arrows a week. 240 a month 2,880 arrows a year. With that small effort what you described is very achievable.

RockyMountainBasser

The reason I am asking is not because I am scared of hitting my arrows together, or anything like that. I just don't like the idea of shooting at a circular target, like I do on my Yellow Jacket, and seeing the arrows in a grouping that I feel could be better, but everyone else telling me that each shot would equate to a dead animal.

I would rather know what is the accepted norm and be equal or better than that, instead of always thinking I am lacking behind.

As it sits right now, with my Hoyt PowerMax, with 25.5 IOD and 57 DW, at 20 yards, I am putting 4 arrows in a grouping that is less than 2". At 30 yards, I am still putting those 4 arrows into a grouping that is equal to 2 inches.

Hunter922

If you aren't scared of shooting the same dot at 20, you need to practice some more.

Yep, Shooting groups inside 35 is to be avoided if you are ready for the season. Shoot more often the groups should tighten up quickly. That being said the lungs and a paper plate are a good comparison. I shoot 1 arrow at a specific dot ( ping pong ball size / 12 ring size )on the target no matter if it's from 20 or 60 yards. Usually shoot 20-30 arrows a day ( 4-5 days a week) trying to end on 3-4 good ones in a row.

10 Ringer

Well, I'm not saying this is nowadays norm, but back before 2000's, it was accepted if you can put 5 arrow in a pie plate you were golden. I guess it's how far you want to push yourself, as one person's standards may be higher than yours.... so you do you and be happy!!!

The Fever

Well, I'm not saying this is nowadays norm, but back before 2000's, it was accepted if you can put 5 arrow in a pie plate you were golden. I guess it's how far you want to push yourself, as one person's standards may be higher than yours.... so you do you and be happy!!!

It boils down to how much you respect the animal. If you can at best put 5 arrows into a pie plate you should not be drawing back on an animal. I hear what you're saying with being happy but too many people take that approach and don't prepare properly.

Today, there is no need for anyone NOT to fear shooting at the same dot at 20 yards with field tips. That should be the expectation of all hunters. Honestly, there is no need for anyone not to achieve the 1 minute of accuracy at 100 yards baseline either. Once you add in the odd shooting angle you have on the deer, and blood pumping so hard your knees start to do odd things, your group begins to open up unless your one of the few stone cold killers out there. Those stone cold killers don't use a pie plate as a measure of their skills either.

deast1988

On trad now I try to put 3 arrows into vitals out to where I can't consistently do it any further. My safe distance is 20yds or less, but this is with a tuned 60lb draw long bow.

I have a new Elite compound and with a proper range I can shoot pin wheel 10s to 55yds. My safe distance with compound is 35yds or less. I've let several walk recent years in the 40/50yd range. But if they hit 35yds with the compound I'm confident in trying to get an arrow into them.

ddd-shooter

If your question is for "consistent kills in the field" then forget groups.

Before you shoot groups, shoot one arrow, no warm up. If it's in the vitals, then you know.
To simulate hunting, get your heart rate up and shoot one cold arrow.
Then practice with groups.
It doesn't matter a lick if you can smack shafts at 80 if you need 20 warm up shots to get there.

You only get one arrow on a critter.
When your one cold arrow is consistently where you want it, back up 10 yards and try again, on a series of consecutive days, of course.

Hunter922

You only get one arrow on a critter. When your one cold arrow is consistently where you want it, back up 10 yards and try again, on a series of consecutive days, of course.

Great advice here.
My son use to ask me when he was younger when we would go out and shoot in August why I would only shoot once or twice as he kept pounding arrows into the target. He gets it now. Of course it took him a few times being unsuccessful on some large deer to really drive the one arrow concept home.

Kris87

I think the most important factor is how you handle it under pressure. Do you get all geeked up when a big deer is in range? Can you calm your emotions? Can you focus and execute the shot? I take that all day, everyday over flat out grouping.

RockyMountainBasser

I am able to keep my cool under pressure when it comes to animals walking out in front of me.

As for doing the cold arrow technique, I have done this, without getting my heart rate up.

After reading all of these comments, I feel 100% confident that I am ready for Sept. 9th. Of course, I am going to keep practicing and making sure that everything is ready. I have a date with an old doe in my back yard come Sept. 9th.

deerbuster

I have found it helpful to get your heart rate up i.e. running, jumping jacks or some level of physical activity and immediately pick up your bow and shoot. This will almost simulate the adrenaline rush of having a deer in range, and being able to calm your self and control your shaking

The Fever

I have found it helpful to get your heart rate up i.e. running, jumping jacks or some level of physical activity and immediately pick up your bow and shoot. This will almost simulate the adrenaline rush of having a deer in range, and being able to calm your self and control your shaking

I've found a sure fire way to replicate the adrenal rush of the hunt. I answered the phone while out shooting my bow, and when my wife asked what I was doing I responded "I'm just out here shooting my new bow." The key here is don't tell her before hand that you bought another bow. :hair:

jawja7

We have a target that we can play tic tac toe on. It's fun to shoot with your buddies and it puts a little pressure on you to make a good shot.

Bob Wallace

Completely agree with the cold 1 shot/only shot practice to see how you'll do in hunting situation. I hadnt picked up my compound since last October and took it out this weekend and 1st shot hit right where I was aiming.
I have been shooting my recurve a lot so I was happy my mechanics and form hadn't changed on the compound.