GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Spiritual Help and Religion Discussions > Atheists/Agnostics/Apologetics

Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
Has it not occurred to you that the asking is part of His plan also?

Do you not think these things through before you regurgitate your nonsense?

(Ha, been wanting to use that word "regurgitate" for a while)
Still waiting on you...
Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlashunter View Post
Oh ye of little faith! You don't get to know the answer beforehand! Just wait and see what happens and then you will know the answer.
pssst...(I never prayed anything...I was foolin)

So there is no answer! HA! Gotcha!

Phonies!!!!
Old Yesterday, 04:38 PM

Quote:

Phonies!!!!
Pssst... it doesn't matter whether you pray or not. That's the whole point.
Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Here we go again with "what he meant to say". Let's stick with the actual words in black and white, not your alteration of them. It doesn't say, "you who believe in me". Nor does it say, "only those of you here who believe in me". It says "he who believes in me". According to Acts the performing of miracles wasn't restricted to just the 12 disciples. I suppose you follow the same method of interpretation of Mark 16 verses 15-18 since he was speaking to the apostles?
Is it a conversation between Christ and His disciples?

At anytime does He say this is for the whole world to know and extends into infinity?

Did He not limit it to ( you), as in those He was speaking to?

Sure others received the gift in Acts, but the church was in its infancy and has since matured, leaving those childish things behind.

1Corinthians 13:11
When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things.
Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs27 View Post
Is it a conversation between Christ and His disciples?

At anytime does He say this is for the whole world to know and extends into infinity?

Did He not limit it to ( you), as in those He was speaking to?

Sure others received the gift in Acts, but the church was in its infancy and has since matured, leaving those childish things behind.

1Corinthians 13:11
When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things.
"I say unto you" followed by a declaration that has a scope applying to others is found throughout the gospels. I already gave you an example which you conveniently ignored. Acts and other books such as Timothy all indicate the scope of this was not limited to the twelve disciples.
Old Yesterday, 05:31 PM

Quote:
So which is it? yes, no , or not right now?
It can't be all three.
Quote:
Oh ye of little faith! You don't get to know the answer beforehand! Just wait and see what happens and then you will know the answer.
Quote:

Phonies!!!!
Jokes on you. You're not one of my elect.

Ezekiel 23:20-21
Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM

Quote:

Phonies!!!!
Yes welder, we are the joke.
Now go wash up it is almost bedtime for you.
Old Yesterday, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambush80 View Post
Jokes on you. You're not one of my elect.

You know,...without realizing it, I believe you demonstrated,in just a few posts, the strict exclusiveness of faith, prayer, and election for the chosen people of God. Amazing!
...and even alluded to His vengeance and wrath toward the non-elect.

Good work!!

Who says God doesn't use the unbeliever for His glory?
Old Yesterday, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullethead View Post
Yes welder, we are the joke.
Now go wash up it is almost bedtime for you.
It's amazing how selective they can be with the critical thinking.
Old Yesterday, 06:09 PM

Quote:
You know,...without realizing it, I believe you demonstrated,in just a few posts, the strict exclusiveness of faith, prayer, and election for the chosen people of God. Amazing!
...and even alluded to His vengeance and wrath toward the non-elect.

Good work!!

Who says God doesn't use the unbeliever for His glory?
You're demonstrating someone installed a root kit on your brain.
Old Yesterday, 06:23 PM

Quote:
"I say unto you" followed by a declaration that has a scope applying to others is found throughout the gospels. I already gave you an example which you conveniently ignored. Acts and other books such as Timothy all indicate the scope of this was not limited to the twelve disciples.
The works that I do...
In Acts the Apostles did the works Jesus had done.. Folks were bringing their sick just so the shadow of Peter would fall on them.. Although charismatics think this still happens today, it doesn't. It's a done deal
Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM

Quote:
The works that I do...
In Acts the Apostles did the works Jesus had done.. Folks were bringing their sick just so the shadow of Peter would fall on them.. Although charismatics think this still happens today, it doesn't. It's a done deal
I agree it doesn't happen. There is no evidence it ever did. That's a separate matter from what the verse says. The application is to "he who believes". The NIV translates the verse whosoever believes.

Let's try another verse from the same book.

John 5:24
24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Does that apply to anyone that hears and believes? Or only to those who heard and believed from among those he was speaking to?
Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM

I should also point out here that it is translated to he who so I guess that also restricts salvation to those he was speaking to that happened to have male genitalia.
Old Yesterday, 09:02 PM

Quote:
I agree it doesn't happen. There is no evidence it ever did. That's a separate matter from what the verse says. The application is to "he who believes". The NIV translates the verse whosoever believes.

Let's try another verse from the same book.

John 5:24
24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Does that apply to anyone that hears and believes? Or only to those who heard and believed from among those he was speaking to?
Read the entire chapter. It's not about us. Jesus was leaving them.. Sending them a comforter so they would not be orphans while he was gone.. 30-33....70ad, yet He was going to return to them.. Not us, not in our future.

You should really learn to comprehend scripture if you're going to dismiss it.
Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM

Quote:
I should also point out here that it is translated to he who so I guess that also restricts salvation to those he was speaking to that happened to have male genitalia.
Show me in the original Greek text.

http://biblehub.com/text/john/5-24.htm
Old Yesterday, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Read the entire chapter. It's not about us. Jesus was leaving them.. Sending them a comforter so they would not be orphans while he was gone.. 30-33....70ad, yet He was going to return to them.. Not us, not in our future.

"Read the entire chapter" "Read the Bible in it's entirety" "It's not about us"
Now you are making some sense.
Old Yesterday, 09:31 PM

Quote:

So you say. The passage itself doesn't make any mention of his return let alone in 70 AD. It says what it says. In one translation he who believes. In another whosoever. You want it to only apply to the disciples. You need it to say that for the obvious reason you want to find a way out of the scripture being demonstrably false. But the language used doesn't mean only the disciples any more than 5:24 which you dodged means only the audience he was speaking to.
Old Yesterday, 09:52 PM

Quote:
So you say. The passage itself doesn't make any mention of his return let alone in 70 AD. It says what it says. In one translation he who believes. In another whosoever. You want it to only apply to the disciples. You need it to say that for the obvious reason you want to find a way out of the scripture being demonstrably false. But the language used doesn't mean only the disciples any more than 5:24 which you dodged means only the audience he was speaking to.
You're right, it doesn't say 70 ad. It does say He was going to return to them..

John 14:28 28 You have heard Me say to you, I am going away and coming back to you. If you loved Me, you would rejoice because I said, I am going to the Father, for My Father is greater than I.

Now can you explain how. I can say to you Atlas. ". I will be going to bed after this comment, but I will return later to respond to you"

Can this in any way shape or form mean Im actually speaking to your offspring thousands of years from now, and not you ?
Old Yesterday, 10:10 PM

Quote:
You're right, it doesn't say 70 ad. It does say He was going to return to them..

John 14:28 28 You have heard Me say to you, I am going away and coming back to you. If you loved Me, you would rejoice because I said, I am going to the Father, for My Father is greater than I.

Now can you explain how. I can say to you Atlas. ". I will be going to bed after this comment, but I will return later to respond to you"

Can this in any way shape or form mean Im actually speaking to your offspring thousands of years from now, and not you ?
That's not what it says. Don't draw some hypothetical analogy that says something different than what the scripture says. The Greek "ho" describing "the one", "he who", or "whosoever" is identical to the Greek used in John 5:24. So you tell me if you think John 5:24 doesn't apply to people living today.
Old Yesterday, 10:17 PM

Quote:
That's not what it says. Don't draw some hypothetical analogy that says something different than what the scripture says. The Greek "ho" describing "the one", "he who", or "whosoever" is identical to the Greek used in John 5:24. So you tell me if you think John 5:24 doesn't apply to people living today.
John 5:24 does not apply to us today.
Old Yesterday, 10:22 PM

Quote:
John 5:24 does not apply to us today.
Thank you. And why does it not apply?
Old Yesterday, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Thank you. And why does it not apply?
This message was to the Jews , Jesus was ministering to about the coming judgment. (70ad), They were: through faith in Him leaving the covenant of sin and death, IE. Old covenant, and coming into the covenant of grace and eternal life. IE New covenant.

We are not of the Old covenant, therefore we don't pass from death unto life as they were doing.
Old Yesterday, 11:00 PM

So you're saying those living today will not face judgment? Or they will face judgment but cannot be saved? Do all people living today have eternal life regardless of belief? Or eternal life isn't attainable for anyone?
Old Yesterday, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_seph View Post
I know of 3 people who prayed that they would not cry, tear up one went for 2 years after that and never cried about anything. The other a year and the other 10 months.
They normally would cry about everytime they prayed, preached, or testified.
Did they convince their-self to not cry over anything at all for that amount of time? Not IMO
I see why religion has a toe hold. This has to be one of the more ridiculous things I've read lately.
Old Yesterday, 11:16 PM

Quote:
I don't think you should accuse anyone of being a liar when you don't even understand the premise.

First.. Those that believe in Jesus would do the works Jesus had done... Secondly He said to His disciples.. I say to you... So Jesus is telling them, of you that believe, you also shall do the works I have done, and they did!

Also... Whatever they (His disciples) asked in His name, He did for them.

You must consider audience relevance, because what we are reading here was a conversation between Christ and His disciples.. Not Christ to the whole world. There was a time in which Christ went away to prepare a place. In that time He sent a comforter, and He gave spiritual gifts, we read all about it in Acts, but that time has expired and is no longer needed.
Ain't it funny that the Bible needs translating, even after it is translated to English? And isn't it a hoot that everyone believes their twist is the most accurate?