2004 polaris ranger 500 4x4

brian lancaster

just wandering how hard it is to change oil in this utv and any suggestions and thanks for any help it is so expensive to get it changed I'm going to try it myself thanks

1gr8bldr

The 4wheeler cousin of this model [2004 500 scrambler] does not store it's oil in the case but has an oil tank that it pumps from. That being said, yours is likely the same engine and they usually locate it in a very accessible location since they can pipe it anywhere.

REUSSERY

I own and maintain a 2012, Ranger 500 4x4, if yours is similar, it is a snap to change the oil. The reservoir tank on mine is located on the drivers side just aft of the front tire. A wrench is all that's needed to remove the drain plug. The tank is positioned high enough to place a gallon jug or catch pan under, so clean up is a breeze. The 500cc engine is a dry slump engine, so it only holds a few ounces of oil, which does not need to be drained for oil changes. Just spin on a new filter and add oil to the tank and your good to go for another year. I run full synthetic oil only in my machine. I also owned a 500 Polaris Sportsman for years and it was same process. Easy Peezy