Fisherman Missing!!!!

boatbuilder

Why do you think all these boats are flipping/sinking. Sure it's not that they are to big. I had a 14ft boat when I started fishing Varner. 1 trip we took it out and I gave it away and bought and 18ft bass boat. The 14ft boat was way to small and very dangerous with the white capping going on the day we were in the 14ft boat. We almost sunk it that day. I can't tell you the number of boats I've seen turn over on all these lake like Varner,Bear creek, and blackshoals. I used to fish every weekend for 3 straight years and have saved over 17 boats that have flipped due to the high winds. Saved a guy and his boat Feb 11,2017
At the first HVBA tournament due to the wind his boat 12ft flipped right at in ramp and he almost didn't make it to the bank less than 50ft from the ramp. No way they need to restrict a boat as long as it's battery powered that is just plain folish and dumb IMO.

There is a lot more to making a boat safe than just length.

The problem that I see is people overloading boats that are made to be light and carried on top of a car and rated . I see boats rated for 500 pounds and a 50 pound motor loaded with 400 pounds of batteries and 3 trolling motors and 500 pounds of redneck.

Some of The feats of engineering that I have seen on bear creek and Varner are hilarious.

boatbuilder

are these battery power only lakes?

I see your point and agree. fished a tourney out at blackshear several yrs back. it was a kayak tourney.
man I thought I was gonna die trying to paddle back the wind was so strong. I think a bit of what your saying is honestly boaters education to a good degree.
people will go out when the wind is blowing dorthey, toto, and their house all over Gods creation ya know.
I would not be against a boaters education course being a rule ever for the PWC folks too. might save some lives don't ya think?

We already have enough rules.

drewskyc

Any updates on this guy? I keep checking the news outlets and seems like there are no new developments.

MudDucker

Staff member
So sad. Prayers lifted!

GunslingerG20

Black Shoals does not allow any boats 16'1" or larger.

I'm glad somebody said this --- I'd be mad if I towed my boat (18' Alumacraft flat-bottom with 2 trolling motors) to that lake and they wouldn't let me put it in!! I usually fish Varner and it's not an issue there. Does anyone know if Clybel/Charlie Elliot has any such silly restrictions??? It would be nice to know before I bother trying to fish there!

Bugpac

I'm glad somebody said this --- I'd be mad if I towed my boat (18' Alumacraft flat-bottom with 2 trolling motors) to that lake and they wouldn't let me put it in!! I usually fish Varner and it's not an issue there. Does anyone know if Clybel/Charlie Elliot has any such silly restrictions??? It would be nice to know before I bother trying to fish there!

Ive put my 18ft boat in there several times, There not gonna measure it unless its a bass boat. Thats the idea of the rule.
Any updates on Troy, I havent seen any on the news sites etc.

BASS1FUN

Its sad,need to be better prepapred for what could come up on the lake. I carry extra bilge pumps even when i had my 20ft bass boat. April 1,2000 i was fishing a jon boat tournament on lake varner , high winds 30+ and i capsized and nearly drowned,after that i have an extra bilge pump and a 1 gallon jug,hopefully it will never happen again

drewskyc

I read the families GoFundMe page that had a description of the events leading up to how it all took place. Seems like there were a lot of opportunities to avoid this tragedy. I get that its not the DNR's job to assist boaters and what not but if these guys were dead in the water and a significant weather pattern with high winds was emerging would it have been too much trouble to lend these guys a hand? Also not wearing a life jacket....This just should not have happened.