Making a gun cabinet

shdybrady19

Im wanting to make my own gun cabinet I got everything figured out in my head except for making the curved slots where the guns rest into. How do ya'll make those and make them precise. Does someone on here have a facny machine to make it? If I were to do it i would have to use a jig saw. Seems kind of hard to make it precise.

tom turkey 2x2

barrel and stock board

You use a wider board than what will be in the cabinet, bore it with a drill bit the size that you want it to be then rip in half, on the table saw.

shdybrady19

I can do that. Sounds easy enough. I sure do appreciate it

jay_b1982

You use a wider board than what will be in the cabinet, bore it with a drill bit the size that you want it to be then rip in half, on the table saw.

This is a very good and easy option. I would recommend using a quality hole saw that is sharp to reduce blowout. Also you can use a jigsaw, band saw, or scroll saw to cut the holes into slots in whatever style you prefer then use a small drum type sander to smooth everything out. This is the method I used for mine.

WOODS N WATER

Use a forstner bit instead of a hole saw. The forstner bit may cost a little more but there will be minumal sanding.

Attachments

• Forstner bit.jpg
    Forstner bit.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 305

Derek Edge

Use a forstner bit instead of a hole saw. The forstner bit may cost a little more but there will be minumal sanding.

Bingo, a 1.5-2"" forstner should do it, but will be costly. I have a bunch of different sizes and they are the cat's meow for cutting holes without blowing through. If you choose to go the hole saw route, clamp your board on top of another board tightly and drill thorugh the first board and a little into the other, this will keep "blow out" to a minimum.

jay_b1982

As a general tip with hole saws all you need to do is drill through until the guide bit clears then flip and finish the hole from the opposite side, this pretty much reduces the blowout to none. Forstner bit will do a better job as long as you have a drill press, they can be quite unmanageable in a hand held drill.

shdybrady19

I have a drill press. Hopefully there will be some pics up soon