The "Georgia" Rig Technique

Well, it's sortof a combination of both the Carolina Rig and the Texas Rig. I just clamp a little lead split-shot right onto the main line about 12 inches up from my hook, which is usually tipped with a trick or finesse worm, and let'er rip. Do any of yous guys use this rig? My little brother has about 6 or 8 different rod and reel combos all rigged with different fancy lures...hardbaits, spinnerbaits, shakey heads, swim baits, jigs, ect. ect....needless to say he has really gotton into bass fishing here recently. Every time, and I mean every time, I have fished with him this year, I've put more in the boat than he has - yep, and you guessed, every single fish I've caught was caught using the "Georgia" rig.:cool: I've found it to be the most consistent fish catching rig for all seasons and all conditions. Heck, I even caught a fine jackfish up on Burton a few weeks ago using it!!

TIGHTLINES44

That's all we used to use in California. I've been using it since I was about ten years old. Not too sure if it gained it's reputation here in Georgia, but it definitely is an effective rig against finicky bass that want a slow falling bait, but not necessarily on the bottom.

shea900

Yeah I use it some. It's a good way to rig up a trick worm.

Gary Mercer

We called it "split-shotting" twenty five years ago.
It was a "shallow water solution" for the Carolina Rig.
Requires a ton of patience in deeper water, but it is very effective. It started as an offshoot of the slider fishing. In fact, I think Charlie Brewer referred to itin his book on Slider fishing.
Most folks have gone to the Senko type baits since they don't twist the line as much.

B

breampole

worm fishing

Brings back memories. When started fishing with worms as a boy in the fifties, this was the rig. I've never changed, and to be honest prefer to cast plugs to fishing with plastics. I rarely fish with worms. Down here in S. GA. in the rivers and oxbows 20' is as deep as it gets and most of the time you are fishing in 10-15' if you are in "deep" water. Used to use a black or red worm and just let it sit on bottom. Used just a little weight 1/4 to 3/8 oz to get them to bottom faster and provide enough weight to cast. Those worms would sit on bottom head down and tail up. When fishing ponds would let them sit on bottom with slack line. If nothing picked it up, move slowly 5-10' and let sit again with slack line. Bass would pick them up, presumedly by the tail, and line would begin to move. You'd let them take out line and the rule was count to ten, take up slack and set the hook. If felt bass tug on it when moving it, would immediately give slack line and do the count to ten thing. Fishing has progressed to a process far more sophisticated with the big man made lakes and not sure what worms today will sit on bottom tails up. I prefer casting spinner baits and plugs which is what we called all lures which weren't spinner baits and I still do. Most of my fishing today is for pan fish and not bass; although I am getting into flyrod fishing for bass.