Best way to cook gar?

doodleflop

Finally caught a gar tonight big enough to clean. So before I cook it I wanted to see what is y'all's favorite way?

cuda67bnl

I've fried it and also boiled some in crab boil. I thought the fried was better. Wife enjoyed the boiled. I won't be keeping any more though as I just didnt enjoy it as much as other fish.

shoot2grill

I've fried it and also boiled some in crab boil. I thought the fried was better. Wife enjoyed the boiled. I won't be keeping any more though as I just didnt enjoy it as much as other fish.
I agree with you.. kept hearing how good it is on here " taste like lobster" so kept one and tried it steamed, just not good to me. Maybe I just got a bad one but don't think I'll try it again.

Bam Bam

The two best ways I heard to cook gar and carp #1 Put fish on wood plake, place on open fire when it gets good and black take fish off and throw it away and eat wood plake! #2 Batter the fish in doo-doo, cook it, when done throw fish away and eat the Batter!!! LOL!!!

benosmose

It is good cooked on the grill on kabob sticks like chicken with a little dales and mccormick steak seasoning also fried yall can have the boiled I did not care for it fried and smoked are good too.

Bradley_G

I ate a spotted gar on a camp trip once, I cut it in half long ways, peeled out the meat and then put the meat back in the "shell" and grilled it. It was actually pretty tasty, not sure if it was because it was a smaller one or not, but I'll try the next big one I catch in case.

Dig a hole, fill it with charcoal and get it going good. Take the Gar, roll it in horse manure, wrap it all up in tinfoil. Throw it on the coals of the fire and cover it up for 2 hours. Come back, dig it up, take the horse manure off of it, throw the fish away, and eat the horse manure.

aabradley82

Just remember to cook outside. Gar will stink to high heaven as it cooks. I wrap it in foil with butter and lemon, then put it on the grill.

doodleflop

Dig a hole, fill it with charcoal and get it going good. Take the Gar, roll it in horse manure, wrap it all up in tinfoil. Throw it on the coals of the fire and cover it up for 2 hours. Come back, dig it up, take the horse manure off of it, throw the fish away, and eat the horse manure.

This is my favorite so far :rofl:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I think most of you have never actually tried gar, if you had, you would know better. They taste absolutely nothing at all like a nasty old carp, or like any other fish, for that matter. If you like alligator meat or frog legs, you'll love gar. I'll go to the trouble to clean a gar if I also have a big mess of crappie and catfish, they're that good. That backstrap is as clean a piece of white meat as you'll ever find, and firm, too. My favorite ways to fix them are blackened, grilled with cajun seasoning and lemon juice, or cut into nuggets and fried. They really are good.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Steam it like lobster and eat with drawn butter.

^^^^^This.

A couple of summers ago, myself and a few buddies did this with one that we caught.

I was skeptical at first, but......... The backstraps out of that gar were pretty close to lobster. Rich like lobster, but not quite as rich.

It was very good!

FMBear

The nice thing about gar is you can get 2 loins off of it. Steam, or boil in crab boil season, the one loin and smoke the other!! GREAT STUFF!!

GeorgiaGuy5

I tried baking one of mine in foil and it turned out terrible. But I've noticed that baking is not the best way to cook any other fish either

doodleflop

Well we decided to fry it just like we do our catfish. It tasted good but was rather tough.

My biggest surprise was my wife who said I like this much better than catfish it's not as fishy tasting:huh:
Oh we'll at least it wasn't that bad.