North Ga. Tree rats

JDBee

spent most of the day at warwoman saw no bear and only 1 tree rat , total of 24 had signed in on paper as of this morning nothing had been signed out yet. acorns and hickory littering any place they are dropping never have i seen so many go uneaten by wildlife.

GA DAWG

Bad yr here in north ga to be squirrel hunter. This is my 4th evening in the woods deer hunting. Ive yet to see one. This is also my 4th different spot to hunt. I dont know where they went.

JDBrown

I've seen about 10 on our lease in Chattooga Co. I watched a Coopers Hawk take one down Sunday afternoon. The hawk sat up high on the ridge screaming, a squirrel started barking about 30yards away from me. About the time he got calmed back down, the hawk came streaking down and grabbed him right off the side of the tree. It was awesome to watch.

birddog52

Banned
Same thing happened back in the 60s about squirrel migration& day mainley due to mast crop failures was article back then in atlanta journal newspaper. ( squirrels like alot of critters go in cycles)

The mtn man

I'm seeing a lot of young squirrels now, some places are loaded, some places still have none. It's amazing how fast the ones that were left are repopulating.

GA DAWG

I found em all from my area last week. They have moved to panola state park. I guess that's where they migrated to.

Killer Kyle

Did you guys see the new article about squirrels on the GON home page? Seems like DNR is chiming in late!

Joe Brandon

Did you guys see the new article about squirrels on the GON home page? Seems like DNR is chiming in late!

Yep just saw it. That's why I like to look at the forum. It seems as if word hits the streets instantly on this! Anyway hope all is well Kyle, I'll be out of school in December for a month, I'm going to go a head and start prepping for next season. Come hit chatt wma with me one day in December and lets collaborate on some ideas!

Killer Kyle

Hey buddy, I'll be there for part of the December hunt! Maybe one of us will strike lucky! We'll get together for sure!

Killer Kyle

Big game are still there. Bears moved down low and spread far and wide last fall/winter. Record sightings and reports of nuisance bears outside their typical range. They're back, just hard to locate along with hogs and deer. Bumper crop has them hunkered down. I've seen nary a hog this year in the mountains, and I usually can't get away from them. Unless I get lucky, this may be my first year ever without a mountain hog. Deer are still there. TreeCutter08 found some Tuesday. He laid the hammer on two GREAT mountain bucks Tuesday when it was frigid cold and windy. He shot the second bigger buck with one already quartered and in the pack! Check his post in the deer hunting forum titled "Good day on the mountain".

The mtn man

Late yesterday I went squirrel hunting in an area where squirrels were non exsisting a month ago, I killed my limit in about 20 minutes, they were all young squirrels the best kind.

GA DAWG

Yep. They starting to come back. Seems north ga is only place they went missing. They everywhere in middle and south ga.