Codex Sinaiticus

ambush80

Another scholar, Joseph Wheless charged that Eusebius was one of the most prolific forgers and liars of his age in the church, and a great romancer; in his hair-raising histories of the holy Martyrs, he assures us "that on some occasions the bodies of the martyrs who had been devoured by wild beasts, upon the beasts being strangled, were found alive in their stomachs, even after having been fully digested"! (FORGERY IN CHRISTIANITY: A Documented Record of the Foundations of the Christian Religion, 1930; quoted Gibbon, History, Ch. 37; Lardner, iv, p. 91; Diegesis, p. 272)

Maybe it was metaphor. Maybe it was real. BEHOLD THE POWER OF THE LORD!!!

centerpin fan

That's just not accurate.
The basic idea promoted here, based on the available information, is that "Christianity" was "X", "Y" and "Z".
The council decided "we are going with "Z" and used political and physical power to remove "X" and "Y" from the game.

OK, so what was X and Y?

I've asked this question at least a half dozen times before, and the response is always the same:

tumblr_m5f55hTUeO1qa4ntj.gif

centerpin fan

You should read up on them a little more. There is more information out there.

I've read more than my fair share about C&E, and I've posted about them in this forum ad nauseum. They're just not the criminal masterminds you make them out to be.

centerpin fan

Another scholar, Joseph Wheless charged that Eusebius was one of the most prolific forgers and liars of his age in the church, and a great romancer; in his hair-raising histories of the holy Martyrs, he assures us "that on some occasions the bodies of the martyrs who had been devoured by wild beasts, upon the beasts being strangled, were found alive in their stomachs, even after having been fully digested"! (FORGERY IN CHRISTIANITY: A Documented Record of the Foundations of the Christian Religion, 1930; quoted Gibbon, History, Ch. 37; Lardner, iv, p. 91; Diegesis, p. 272)

Rather than dealing with each of these quotes separately, I'll go back to one of your previous posts and ask some simple questions:

Is the Warren Commission report universally accepted?

Does everybody believe the official 9/11 story?

Are they just testing stealth planes out at Area 51?

Pick almost any major point in history, and I'm sure you can find an alternative history or conspiracy theory about it.

centerpin fan

We praise the virtually unchanged state of all future copies off of these 4th century ones, but nobody can produce any earlier originals to compare them with.

... but we can read Bible quotes from ante-Nicene writers, and they are no different than what I read in my Bible.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I've read more than my fair share about C&E, and I've posted about them in this forum ad nauseum. They're just not the criminal masterminds you make them out to be.

I am not the scholars(plural) that have found fault with C&E.
You deny the facts I present .

Last edited:

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Rather than dealing with each of these quotes separately, I'll go back to one of your previous posts and ask some simple questions:

Is the Warren Commission report universally accepted?

Does everybody believe the official 9/11 story?

Are they just testing stealth planes out at Area 51?

Pick almost any major point in history, and I'm sure you can find an alternative history or conspiracy theory about it.

We are talking about Euseubius here. Not any of that other stuff. By your standards EVERYTHING is true as taught and written by the side that wants the story told a certain way and anything otherwise is a conspiracy theory or alternative to history.
You are flat wrong.
The truth trumps what tries to be hidden. Eusebius's own writings prove he made up his own history. Research done by scholars literally shows us the proof. They are not wild unfounded claims. They prove what they are claiming.
You have fallen short in proving your claims if your defense is "What I say is right and anything else is a conspiracy theory"

WaltL1

OK, so what was X and Y?

I've asked this question at least a half dozen times before, and the response is always the same:

tumblr_m5f55hTUeO1qa4ntj.gif
You've been given the information numerous times before. Look up the threads. This information will be the same as that information.
You don't have to believe the historical information you have been provided but don't pretend like it doesn't exist or that it hasn't been given to you.
Are you seriously claiming there was one and only one view/set of beliefs?
And you still haven't shown all this information you are being given to be false or made up. Saying nuh-uh doesn't quite get it.
You confuse me. You are well read and knowledgeable yet at times you seem to play dumb.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
“What profit has not that fable of Christ brought us!” ~ Pope Leo X.

Israel

BANNED
I found this, not to vindicate a pope, (he answers or will answer for himself) but simply in response to what was posted as "verbatim":

It is found here: http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message605817/pg1

I noticed that Saxon on another thread posted this alleged quote from Pope Leo X, variously rendered as "It has served us well, this myth of Christ", or "What profit has not that fable of Christ brought us!"

The quote is from a satirical work of John Bale, a sixteenth century English playwright, entitled The Pageant of Popes, as follows:

Leo the tenth was a Florentine borne, of the noble house of Medicea, and called ere he were Pope John Medices. He being Deacon and Cardinal of Saint Maries, contrarie to all hope was chosen to succede Julius. He beinge diligetly from his youth trained up in learning under learned schoolmaisters, and especially one Angelus Politianus, did afterward greatly favour learned men. When he was but. xiv. yeres olde he was made cardinall by Innocentius the. viii. and at the yeres of xxxviii. he obtained the papacie. This Leo was of his owne nature a gentil and quiet person: but often times ruled by those that were cruell and contencious men, whom he suffered to do in many matters according to their insolent wil. He addicting himselfe to nicenesse, and takinge ease did pamper his fleshe in diverse vanities and carnal pleasures: At banqueting he delighted greatly in wine and musike: but had no care of preaching the Gospell, nay was rather a cruell persecutour of those that began then, as Luther and other to reveale the light thereof: for on a time when a cardinall Bembus did move a question out of the Gospell, the Pope gave him a very contemptuouse aunswere saiying: All ages can testifie enough howe profitable that fable of Christe hath ben to us and our companie: Sleidan faith he sente letters and bulles of pardons into all nations for suche as woulde give money for them, the effectes of his pardons were diverse, some especially to sell licence to eate butter, chese, egges, milke, and fleshe upon forbidden dates, and for this purpose he sent divers treasurers into al coutreis, and namelye one Samson a monke of Millaine into Germany, who by these pardons gathered out of sundrie places such hewge sommes of money that the worlde wondered at it, for he offered in one day to geve for the Papacie above an hundred and twentie thousand duckates

Last edited:

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I found this, not to vindicate a pope, (he answers or will answer for himself) but simply in response to what was posted as "verbatim":

It is found here: http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message605817/pg1

I noticed that Saxon on another thread posted this alleged quote from Pope Leo X, variously rendered as "It has served us well, this myth of Christ", or "What profit has not that fable of Christ brought us!"

Thanks for finding that.
I will look into it further.
Here are two that I have to research.

Widely attributed to Leo X, the earliest known source of this statement is actually a polemical work by the Protestant John Bale, the anti-Catholic Acta Romanorum Pontificum, which was first translated from Latin into English as The Pageant of the Popes in 1574: "For on a time when a cardinall Bembus did move a question out of the Gospell, the Pope gave him a very contemptuous answer saying: All ages can testifie enough how profitable that fable of Christe hath ben to us and our companie." The Pope in this case being Leo X. Later accounts of it exist, as recorded by Vatican Librarian, Cardinal Baronius in the Annales Ecclesiastici (1597) a 12-volume history of the Church.
In a more modern polemic, "The Criminal History of the Papacy" by Tony Bushby, in Nexus Magazine Volume 14, Number 3 (April - May 2007), it is stated that "The pope's pronouncement is recorded in the diaries and records of both Pietro Cardinal Bembo (Letters and Comments on Pope Leo X, 1842 reprint) and Paolo Cardinal Giovio (De Vita Leonis Decimi..., op. cit.), two associates who were witnesses to it."