Browning X-bolt Stainless Stalker 30-06

Buckfever

Has anybody shot this rifle yet? My wife won one :banana: and I was wondering about the kick, not for me but her! Was thinking about trading it, but I'm really wanting to keep it and set it up for her to shoot.

gtparts

Don't know anything about your wife's frame, but if the rifle "fits" ( can be comfortably shouldered with proper sighting) you might try it "as is" with an eye to custom loading to reduce recoil (that is, if you reload or would consider it).

Quite honestly, this is something she will have to figure out with your help......hopefully with the idea of keeping a fine weapon that you can use also.

But then, that's just one opinion.

Last edited:

NOYDB

BANNED
They make Reduced recoil loads. Depending on fit either add a better recoil pad or have one fitted.

'06 doesn't have that much recoil. If you don't psych her out making her think it is going to be bad, she may never notice.

Lead Poison

I don't recommend the 30-06 for female hunters. I believe there are many other cartridges that offer substantially less recoil for women.

Here are the cartridges I recommend:

1. 243 Win.
2. 257 Roberts
3. 260 Rem.
4. 6.5x55
5. 7mm-08
6. 7x57
7. 308

Buckfever

Well she's been shooting a 270win for years and knows it kicks, but doesn't notice it when shooting at deer. If I knew where I could trade it I would. I had wanted to get her a 7mm-08 or 25-06, but the place the gun came from wanted the gun (still in box) and $150.00 to trade it. I don't think so! NOYDB it has a great recoil pad on the gun already, just haven't shot it yet.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
If she's been shooting a .270, then a 30-'06 shouldn't be a big problem for her.

NOYDB

BANNED
Well she's been shooting a 270win for years and knows it kicks, but doesn't notice it when shooting at deer. If I knew where I could trade it I would. I had wanted to get her a 7mm-08 or 25-06, but the place the gun came from wanted the gun (still in box) and $150.00 to trade it. I don't think so! NOYDB it has a great recoil pad on the gun already, just haven't shot it yet.

Ok, She's been shooting a.270. So are you really worried about recoil for her? (or is it about you??????) ::ke:

Buckfever

Ok, She's been shooting a.270. So are you really worried about recoil for her? (or is it about you??????) ::ke:

:rofl: NOYDB that's a funny one! No I'm just not a 30-06 fan (I'm a 270win fan though), so I'll only be sighting in the gun if we keep it. I like my 270 wsm to much to lay it down for a 30-06. I might lay it down every once in a while to tote the 7mm STM or the 270win though, so recoil is'nt a issue for me. And yes I know the 270win is based off of the 30-06, so don't beat me up on that one.::ke:

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
:rofl: NOYDB that's a funny one! No I'm just not a 30-06 fan (I'm a 270win fan though), so I'll only be sighting in the gun if we keep it. I like my 270 wsm to much to lay it down for a 30-06. I might lay it down every once in a while to tote the 7mm STM or the 270win though, so recoil is'nt a issue for me. And yes I know the 270win is based off of the 30-06, so don't beat me up on that one.::ke:

You need to give that '06 a whirl....take it to the range and wring it out out to 300 yards if you have a place to do that.....take a couple of deer with it. It will surprise you. 30-'06 is a great cartridge.....it hasn't retained all it's popularity for the last 100 years for nothing.

Buckfever

You need to give that '06 a whirl....take it to the range and wring it out out to 300 yards if you have a place to do that.....take a couple of deer with it. It will surprise you. 30-'06 is a great cartridge.....it hasn't retained all it's popularity for the last 100 years for nothing.

I don't doubt you one bit germag. 30-06 has been around way to long for it not to be a superb cartridge, and probably one of the most versatile ever made.

NOYDB

BANNED
It's a nice problem to have.

Go ahead and set it up for her. It's a terrific rifle. If she doesn't like it, then trade it.

I have A-bolt II in '06. Love it. I have other "deer" guns, but that's Ol' reliable.

taylornelms

GONetwork Member
Can't believe no one has said anything about the reduced recoil rounds. I understand they aren't the same accuracy or distance but most of your GA deer shots aren't really that long anyway. Anyway, after reading your posts, it sounds like if she shoots the .270 a good bit, if she doesnt know and you dont tell her she probably wont notice enough to get screwed up trading a really nice gun for something not as nice. Keep the gun, or give it to me!

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
Can't believe no one has said anything about the reduced recoil rounds. I understand they aren't the same accuracy or distance but most of your GA deer shots aren't really that long anyway. Anyway, after reading your posts, it sounds like if she shoots the .270 a good bit, if she doesnt know and you dont tell her she probably wont notice enough to get screwed up trading a really nice gun for something not as nice. Keep the gun, or give it to me!

NOYDB mentioned them in post #3.

Buckfever

Yeah, taylor already thought about those I may give them a try first, because most of the shots we have is 150 yards or less.

whitworth

Kick: Real and Imagined

Depends on the individual. Depends on the "fears" the shooter was prepared for by others.