One Grand Summer

StriperrHunterr

Okay, folks, it's finally time to drop the curtain on a project I've been putting together since the early part of this year.

It all started with a personal goal that has evolved into something much bigger. Last year I was lucky enough to figure out the summer striper bite on the Ben Parker's Magnum spoon and in a little over a week I was able to put 120lbs in the boat and it hit me that if I really tried, and got on it early enough, that I could possibly, maybe break 1000lbs over the course of the summer. The question then was how to document it and what data was valuable in such documentation.

Through some friends, new and old, I got the metrics that I'll need to have this data be of some use to people other than myself.

That lead to me reaching out to our biologists here on Lanier, and even a trip out with them to see how the pros do it. I spent a Friday morning with them shocking up striper, and anything else "fortunate" enough to be in the field of the boat, and learned how they measure them, how scales are collected and the data is logged. Since pictures are worth 1000 words, video has to be even more valuable, right? So I have my measuring stick based on their design, an accu-cull scale from OBT, 8 magnum flutter spoons, and an SJCam, which is nearly identical to a GoPro of the same generation but at 1/3 the cost, all ready to rock and roll. I've been watching the surface temps and I think 5/1, well 5/2 since this weekend was our anniversary celebration, is the right time to announce this.

Over the coming months I'll be fishing the weekends, maybe a weekday here or there, but mainly after work in the evenings trying to reach my goal. So why post about it now? Well, I'm looking for a few good mates to help me out. I understand that not everyone can, or would even want to, go as often as I want to, but I need some help getting the boat hitched up to the truck because of my bad knees. So how do you get in on this if you're interested and what do you need to bring?

If you're interested shoot me a PM and we'll get linked up. What you'll need is a medium heavy rod capable of dropping a 3oz spoon and a reel capable of holding several hundred yards of 20lb Big Game line. I've found spinning works best because of the ferocity of the hits and being able to better hold onto the stem of a spinning reel. You'll also need a couple of your own spoons. That's it. Be able to meet me at my place in Buford by Shoal Creek campground around 5-530, have the requisite equipment, and be willing to help operate the camera, net, and measuring stick and you're in like Flynn. If you have your own GoPro or similar, even better. I've got mounts around the boat already, and could use an extra one to get some fighting and release shots. These will be posted to a YouTube channel, so participation implies consent to that.

Your numbers will get logged, but won't count towards my total. In talking with the biologists, Chris and Pat, they told me that too few people actually keep fishing logs and even if they do they often don't record the 0 days. Even if I don't reach my 1000lb goal, this is sure to be a fun project for the summer, and if even 1 person besides myself decides to start their own log to give them more data I'll consider it a success.

I would ask that this thread be kept clean as it will also be used to post videos, update the counts, and share data about the fishing so if you want to reach out to me to go fish, please do it via PM.

Thanks for reading and I'm hoping to have some videos up soon.

howboutthemdawgs

Honest question...is it really the best for these fish to pull them out of 80-100' of water in a survivable water temp up through the water column at a breakneck speed while they are in the fight of their life in to 80-90 degree temps? In my very humble opinion it's best for the fishery to leave these fish alone once the water reaches a certain water temp.
If I'm wrong, and I very well could be, please school as to why. I've just heard the mortality on summer caught stripers is pretty high.

StriperrHunterr

Honest question...is it really the best for these fish to pull them out of 80-100' of water in a survivable water temp up through the water column at a breakneck speed while they are in the fight of their life in to 80-90 degree temps? In my very humble opinion it's best for the fishery to leave these fish alone once the water reaches a certain water temp.
If I'm wrong, and I very well could be, please school as to why. I've just heard the mortality on summer caught stripers is pretty high.

There's plenty of debate on the topic of summer striper fishing. There are also plenty of threads on the matter here. I don't want to come off as rude, but search one of them up, comment on it and restart that discussion.

I would prefer this thread not be cluttered with the hot weather fishing debate.

Thanks for understanding.

KKrueger

I would be interested in helping. I work off 400 and could come in early some days to be able to help you in the evening.

My goal in this would be to learn my way around Lanier

I haven't met you but I think we fished near each other at the OWL event recently. I was in a big green alumacraft CC.

- Kevin

StriperrHunterr

I would be interested in helping. I work off 400 and could come in early some days to be able to help you in the evening.

My goal in this would be to learn my way around Lanier

I haven't met you but I think we fished near each other at the OWL event recently. I was in a big green alumacraft CC.

- Kevin
Yes sir. I do remember you.

Shoot me a PM with your number and we'll get linked up.

StriperrHunterr

Well, the inaugural trip is this evening and I'm taking a friend from work and his father. A report, good, bad, or ugly, will be posted tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone who responded and showed interest. I've got a list of names going right now and we'll work to get you all out at some point this summer.

Pop, if you want to make a trip up I was already planning on taking 1 or 2 days off this summer to fish during the quieter weekdays. I would say that the better time for that is June, I'm already taking one day off to fish with my FiL in 2 weeks and want to spread it out.

Coenen

A half ton in one summer?

giphy.gif

I'll give you a shout, I bet I can lose a couple of those Parker spoons just as well as the next guy! Good luck buddy! :cool:

StriperrHunterr

Trip #1 5/3/16
Weather: Air Temp mid 70's, water temp 73.5 at launch, light stain with pollen on the water, partly cloudy, WSW winds at 10-15.

I figured I was being a little optimistic about going last night, but I wanted to fish anyway so I thought I'd give it a shot. Launched out of Shoal due to construction on Shadburn and not wanting to waste daylight driving to another ramp. Hit the first set of humps in the mid creek channel and marked one or two who wouldn't even window shop. Watched the spoon right through them to watch them scatter off the graph and got 0 fish.

Moved over towards East Bank and marked a couple more, these all had noses in the mud and wouldn't touch a spoon either.

Tucked out of the wind to see if I could put my friend on a spot or two to close the night off and here's where the graph lit up. Schools of 15-20 fish roaming in and out of my 2d making strong arches and showing up as quality fish on the DI. Dropping spoons on them made them scatter as well, so we switched to flukes, deep cranks, and smaller flexit spoons. No hookups.

That's when motion caught my eye and a decent fish well over a 100ft away busted surface launching water probably 20 ft around it. Picked up the trolling motor and burned it over to them. Tried walking baits, flukes, flexits, and the assorted topwater on a school of really nice fish for about 15 minutes unable to get one of them to take it. I never got a good look at the fish themselves, but if they were spots this was a school of probably 15 of them all over 5, so my guess is the 6-8lb striper range given that they were schooling like that. We fished until dark even after they stopped busting, trolling cranks to try to reach them as I thought they were putting the bait ball back together for another run. No hits on it either.

My opinion is that these fish were chasing smaller threads that plagued us a couple years ago, and I say plagued because you could see them bust, cast right in the ring, and not hook up. When you saw the aftermath it was all 1-2" threads that are hard to imitate and get the casting distance you need to reach them.

With 73 degree surface temps and next week forecast to be in the mid to upper 80s in the afternoons I imagine we'll hit the warmer water we need to really bust this pattern wide open in the next 10-15 days. That won't stop me from trying again before then, though my schedule for the next couple weeks is a little tight.

So while I logged a goose egg on my report last night, I did see a lot of things that have me hopeful for the near term.

Thanks for reading.

Klag

I am primarily a spoon fisherman myself and I am not getting any spoon action yet either, and I'm not even bringing my Ben Parker with me on the kayak until water temps are a little higher.

I was reading 75.6 degree surface temps at 7am at Balus Creek yesterday, even after the cool rains a few hours before. Freeline herring was my only producer.

StriperrHunterr

I am primarily a spoon fisherman myself and I am not getting any spoon action yet either, and I'm not even bringing my Ben Parker with me on the kayak until water temps are a little higher.

I was reading 75.6 degree surface temps at 7am at Balus Creek yesterday, even after the cool rains a few hours before. Freeline herring was my only producer.

I debated trolling the spoons but with them so snug to the bottom when we did mark them I didn't want to take a $16/snag chance

MYoung

CensoredCensoredCensoredCensored, I wouldn't mind giving this a try and learning the ways of the spoon!

Kestas69

Redfin is way to go right now. Or bone spook. Way to early for power reeling. You can catch few by casting and steady retrieving sexy spoon.