22 or 17 for squirrels?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I am about over my cataract surgery, and looking forward to trying open sights again. I haven't been able to shoot open sights in 12 or 15 years

buckeroo

Didnt read the 2 pages of responses so I am sure it has already been said.....

My experience is that a 17 will basically cut them in half.

22 shorts for me typically.

HossBog

Have hunted for squirrels with both the 17 HMR and 22 LR. The 22 LR with solids is the best squirrel medicine around. I try for nothing but head shots cause eatin them is as good as shootin them.

Amen. Done. For the past 10 years or so when I started using .22 shorts and found they killed as good and dead as anything else, that's what I use now for squirrels. Even long rifle seems like too much now. I'm not biased against whips, but I think you'll find that most who say 22 mag, etc. are probably whippersnappers. I'm certain no millennials nor snowflakes are on here. In maturity, I mean.

I just love .22s.

jguffie

Absolutely!!! I have seen squirrel shot with a 17 and I am not impressed! If they are not shot in the head it messes up too much meat. I like to eat them to much so minimal damage is very important to me. The same goes for hollow points. I don't like them. My 10/22 shoots Winchester Super X round nose very well. Even then I try my best to shoot them in the head. I like me some fried squirrel!!!

Yeah and this guy does not miss many heads!! Ive seen him do it hundreds of times!!