Is now a good time for squirrel hunting with deer season over?

LovinOutside

Am I correct that deer season is over? Is now a decent time to go squirrel and rabbit hunting? I'm hoping I have less chance of being shot walking around and also not disturbing deer hunting folks.

Big7

The Oracle
Yes and yes.

It is the best time of the year. If you are new to hunting you may want to start with the Hunter safety course. It's very informative about seasons and hunting in general. It would also probably help with your fears about being shot during deer season. Then try and find someone to take you along. If you are ever in the Statesboro area I would be happy to go with you.

LovinOutside

Thanks! I have the course (from way back I am ashamed to say.) I just never go hunting. Now I want to and with kids, I thought it would be a good time to go. Up in North GA.

I have a .22 and was going to buy a 20 gauge just to hedge my bets.

Mark R

Its always a good time to take the kids small game huntin within season . I am thankful many of our wmas have separate small game dates thru out the seasons . Enjoy

MOTS

I'm in the Vidalia area and with all the multiple 20's degree temps we've had down here, I'd say it's the best it's been in a good while.

Possum

Banned
The squirrels are in the post rut phase. Focus on travel routes between their nests and their feeding areas. Don’t pressure them too much or they will stay in their holes all day. I like to set a trail cam on high sensitivity and put it on the bigges oak tree I can find to see if they are using the area. Set up before daylight and call them out of their dens with a squirrel call. Be sure to let the “doe squirrels” walk and only take the mature buck squirrels. Good luck and have fun!

greg_n_clayton

The squirrels are in the post rut phase. Focus on travel routes between their nests and their feeding areas. Don’t pressure them too much or they will stay in their holes all day. I like to set a trail cam on high sensitivity and put it on the bigges oak tree I can find to see if they are using the area. Set up before daylight and call them out of their dens with a squirrel call. Be sure to let the “doe squirrels” walk and only take the mature buck squirrels. Good luck and have fun!

Tell me Possum......How do you tell the sex of a skwerl up a tree ??