Grandfather and Grandson

dslc6487

Just getting my 8 year old grandson into squirrel hunting this year. I gave him my 410 shotgun that my father gave me for Christmas when I was 8 years old. The 410 is too long for him and he has a hard time holding it up to the tall trees where we hunt because it is too off balance for him. I could cut the stock off, but had rather go ahead and get him a 20 ga. single shot, youth model. He is big for his age and he can handle a 20 gauge with light loads. Anyone out there have a recommendation on what brand to get for him. I am located in the middle of the state of Georgia.
I am 71 years old and I know my hunting days are limited, but I can truly say that hunting with my grandson so far this season has been the best time of my life. I love him so much and I want him to remember his "Pop" with fond memories of hunting. Please feel free to reply and thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big7

The Oracle
H&R or NEF would be my bet. (for a single shot)

I have my first one, the old long heavy H&R .410
my Dad gave me when I was 9 y/o. Still shoot it every year.

The new ones are shorter and lighter
than the old ones and will kick a little harder in any caliber.

My "turkey gun" is a tiny NEF 3 1/2 inch 12ga.
Try that for fun. It just plain hurts.

For another $75.00 - $100.00 go ahead and grab an
870 Express Remington or a Mossberg 500.

He will like to have the extra capacity and screw in chokes later.
I shoot a youth 870 Express in 20ga just fine and I'm not really a
small man.

Hope this helps.

Hillbilly stalker

I would check the local pawn shops for a used one. I found 2 over the years that were off brand name, one was made in Brazil. They both shoot fine and were less than $75. If you were closer I would be able to help you out. I hope yall get a lot of hunts in before season ends. Good luck .

Mark R

Rossi makes a single shot kids gun . comes with 2 barrels . 410 and 22 . super light and accurate . my granddaughter shoots it . about 100 bucks I think it was

ssmith

Keep at it grandpa. I am 76 and deer hunt out of a ladder stand with cross bow and rifle, love chances I get to hunt with grandchildren. You got plenty more years left to make memories.Then that will be what we treasure.