Hands Free Talking While Driving!

frankwright

With the new law being signed in shortly I am looking at options. My Wife's SUV has Wifi/Bluetooth so there is no problem.

My old truck has nothing and while I don't normally drive and talk there are times I get calls I need to take.

So what are my options, a thingy bob for my ear or what and remember I am from an era when a transistor radio was a big deal:rofl:

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I usually just pull over if I need to text or talk.

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
I'll just put my phone on speaker and set it in the console. Don't like them thingy bobs in my ear.

JonathanG2013

What doenightmare said could work also. Just have to get a thing for your phone that stick to the dash for speaker phone.

sinclair1

I get emails as a previous customer of Sound Sensations Audio. They are pushing a headunit for handsfree through the car stereo like the newer cars/ Trucks.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
I upgraded my factory stereo to this, it has a wired microphone, bluetooth, the works, even recieves HD radio.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158GS810BH/Sony-MEX-GS810BH.html?tp=5684

I have one of those phone mounts that clips into the A/C vents that holds the phone. I used to use the earpiece, but wanted a new stereo anyhow, so it works quite well, folks can hear me better than with the earpiece.

Killdee

I just put a vent holder in and set my phone for “hey Siri” so I can tell her to call or read my texts. I’m self employed and get lots of calls and texts. I might spring for something the guys above mentioned.

GoldDot40

Us truck drivers have been under this law for a few years now. It does take some getting used to. If you get a phone holder that will hold the phone so the screen is facing you, you can use text-to-speech to send messages. You can also use Siri on the iPhone or Ok Google or Bixby voice on the newer Androids or Galaxy phones to send messages, dial numbers, and read messages.

I use a Blue Parrot 350 headset when I drive my tractor-trailer better than the ear pieces that stick into your ear, IMO. Mine also has noise cancelling microphone which makes it 10X better for the person you're talking to if you're in a noisy environment.

In a commercial vehicle, physical interaction with a cellphone is a $800 fine and points against your CSR record.

georgia357

They can’t see me on my phone through my “Dark” tinted winders....

I believe that we'll see a crackdown on tinted windows once the hands free bill goes into law.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Check out options at Crutchfield for blue tooth stereos. I just installed a Pioneer head unit in my '06 F150. The unit, the wiring harness, a steering wheel controls adapter and the mounting hardware, delivered to my door, was $140.

Took me 2 hours to fully install. Phone interface works great, and can use the Google/android functionality on my phone to have it read and send voice to texts for me.