Sun Protection...Do we have to discuss this?

NoOne

Gone but not forgotten.
The new age fishing apparel, face mask and gloves are the way to go. Great sun protection and the material they are made of beats cotton shirts and blue jeans all day long. A lot cooler and no sweat means more time on the water with less fatigue.

Cmp1

BANNED
Wet towel with ice cubes in it for around the neck for me,,,, keeps me cool and the sun off my neck,,,,

Grampa1114

Yep, we gotta discuss it. Some quick facts:

Sunscreen causes cancer. Don't make me look up the mountains of studies that prove it.

Sunshine does not cause cancer. It gives healthy vitamin D, but will make you more wrinkled when you get old with lots of exposure.

This is another one of those myths that science will eventually debunk. It already has actually.

:pop::pop:

You have definitely exposed the secret but if you continue to spread it around...it could fall into the wrong hands and spoil everything.... You never know who could be reading this....I've also been out in the sun and am ready for a nap.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
I'm the poster child for basil and sqeamus cell carcinoma's.
I lost count at around 30 cut off face, neck and shoulders.
Nose reconstruction on the right side turned out well.
I will never wrinkle because of all the skin I've had removed.

BassMan31

Sunscreen causes cancer. Don't make me look up the mountains of studies that prove it.

Sunshine does not cause cancer. It gives healthy vitamin D, but will make you more wrinkled when you get old with lots of exposure.

This is another one of those myths that science will eventually debunk. It already has actually.

Just like margarine is healthier than butter, eating fat makes you fat, eating cholesterol increases your cholesterol levels, etc, etc!! Even the wonderful, honest, corrupt money-driven FDA has reversed positions on those... Hasn't happened with sunscreen yet because there's too much $ involved.

I NEVER wear sunscreen, and I sure as heck don't cover up, that sunshine makes me not get sick (vitamin D), clears up rashes, toe funguses, jaundice, and hundreds of other benefits. Problem is I don't usually get enough.

You think they had sunscreen in the olden days? Nobody got skin cancer. Nobody got any cancer for that matter. And don't give me this "it wasn't diagnosed" stuff, do your research. Cancer is a relatively new thing, related to poor diets, high in sugar, low in healthy fats and minerals, toxins in foods, vaccines, etc, genetically modified foods, and toxic chemicals in manufacturing jobs, etc. Just like autism, alzheimers, and a thousand other diseases that have skyrocketed in the modern commercial food era.

And another thing, a good diet gives immunity to the harmful effects of the sun, with the body repairing itself quickly from any damage. A poor (standard american) diet harms the body's system that does this.

Oh boy, I just noticed how long this is! I must be in a cantankerous mood tonight, I better go to bed and see if I feel more calm in the morning :D
I'm tellin ya, it's all the energy this sunshine is giving me!! :banana:

It's good to get "some" sun, but too much is not good. For the average fair skinned person, about an hour of Sun exposure on the face and arms will provide "the goods" when it comes to vitamin D3 production. Cover up the rest of the time.

So far as the sunscreen thing, I would like to see those studies you spoke about. I'm sure you can pick two or three of your favorites off the mountainous pile you say exists. :pop:

TroyBoy30

Just like margarine is healthier than butter, eating fat makes you fat, eating cholesterol increases your cholesterol levels, etc, etc!! Even the wonderful, honest, corrupt money-driven FDA has reversed positions on those... Hasn't happened with sunscreen yet because there's too much $ involved.

I NEVER wear sunscreen, and I sure as heck don't cover up, that sunshine makes me not get sick (vitamin D), clears up rashes, toe funguses, jaundice, and hundreds of other benefits. Problem is I don't usually get enough.

You think they had sunscreen in the olden days? Nobody got skin cancer. Nobody got any cancer for that matter. And don't give me this "it wasn't diagnosed" stuff, do your research. Cancer is a relatively new thing, related to poor diets, high in sugar, low in healthy fats and minerals, toxins in foods, vaccines, etc, genetically modified foods, and toxic chemicals in manufacturing jobs, etc. Just like autism, alzheimers, and a thousand other diseases that have skyrocketed in the modern commercial food era.

And another thing, a good diet gives immunity to the harmful effects of the sun, with the body repairing itself quickly from any damage. A poor (standard american) diet harms the body's system that does this.

Oh boy, I just noticed how long this is! I must be in a cantankerous mood tonight, I better go to bed and see if I feel more calm in the morning :D
I'm tellin ya, it's all the energy this sunshine is giving me!! :banana:

too much sun absolutely causes skin cancer. ask my grand father, who didn't have sunscreen. cancer is not new, especially skin cancer

MikeyD6

Deleted
Yes, people got cancer back in the olden days, all kinds. They also died of things like mumps, malaria, cholera, pneumonia a lot more often. Can't die of cancer if something else kills you first.

mpwarrak

It's good to get "some" sun, but too much is not good. For the average fair skinned person, about an hour of Sun exposure on the face and arms will provide "the goods" when it comes to vitamin D3 production. Cover up the rest of the time.

So far as the sunscreen thing, I would like to see those studies you spoke about. I'm sure you can pick two or three of your favorites off the mountainous pile you say exists. :pop:

I agree, there is probably a "too much" when it comes to sunshine. But I think most people in America are on the "not enough" side of things... Over 75% of Americans are vitamin D deficient.

About the studies, a simple google search will give you reading material for the next ten years. Not that all of it is true, but plenty of it is. But in case your browser doesn't support a search engine, ::ke: here's a article that has links to many studies, showing the dangers of many of the chemicals that are found in a lot of sunscreen...

With that said, there are many brands of suncreen that are eliminating these toxic chemicals, with a much more "natural" approach. I'm ok with some of those. But your conventional brands are full of poison.

too much sun absolutely causes skin cancer. ask my grand father, who didn't have sunscreen. cancer is not new, especially skin cancer

Yes, people got cancer back in the olden days, all kinds. They also died of things like mumps, malaria, cholera, pneumonia a lot more often. Can't die of cancer if something else kills you first.

I didn't mean that cancer never existed, just that it has exploded in the last 20-30 years. Here's a statistic out of the link I will put at the end of this post:

In the early 1900s, one in 20 people developed cancer
In the 1940s, one in 16 people developed cancer
In the 1970s, it was one in 10
Today, it's one in three!

About the disease epidemics you mentioned, bad sanitation, (sewage in the streets), as well as poor immune systems from eating the same foods and being deficient in others was more of a contributing factor than most people realize. For example, many people died of scurvy until they figured out it was the sailors eating only salted pork all the time, and being deficient in Vitamin C. Take some limes on the voyage and everybody's fine.

If any of you are interested in what really causes cancer, search the books "truth about cancer" and "world without cancer, and take a look at this link, titled:
Why Medicine Won’t Allow Cancer to Be Cured

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/08/03/natural-cancer-treatment.aspx

The sun doesn't cause cancer. Here's what does:

BassMan31

I agree, there is probably a "too much" when it comes to sunshine. But I think most people in America are on the "not enough" side of things... Over 75% of Americans are vitamin D deficient.

About the studies, a simple google search will give you reading material for the next ten years. Not that all of it is true, but plenty of it is. But in case your browser doesn't support a search engine, ::ke: here's a article that has links to many studies, showing the dangers of many of the chemicals that are found in a lot of sunscreen...

With that said, there are many brands of suncreen that are eliminating these toxic chemicals, with a much more "natural" approach. I'm ok with some of those. But your conventional brands are full of poison.

Is this your opinion as a physician? :biggrin3:

DAWG1419

I didn't mean that cancer never existed, just that it has exploded in the last 20-30 years. Here's a statistic out of the link I will put at the end of this post:

About the disease epidemics you mentioned, bad sanitation, (sewage in the streets), as well as poor immune systems from eating the same foods and being deficient in others was more of a contributing factor than most people realize. For example, many people died of scurvy until they figured out it was the sailors eating only salted pork all the time, and being deficient in Vitamin C. Take some limes on the voyage and everybody's fine.

If any of you are interested in what really causes cancer, search the books "truth about cancer" and "world without cancer, and take a look at this link, titled:

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/08/03/natural-cancer-treatment.aspx

You also should tell the cancer only grows when they consume sugar and carbs! Only with glucose can cancer grow. Going low carb and getting your body in keytosis the cancer cannot grow as cancer can not live using ketone bodies. Fact

MikeyD6

Deleted

facepalm:

The average life expectancy of a white man in the year 1900 was 47 years old. For a black man it was 33. The median age of a cancer diagnosis is 65. The odds of getting cancer back then were lower because people typically didn't live long enough to get it. The rate of cancer is increasing because people are now living long enough to get it more often. There's not some crazy conspiracy going on that is making the cancer rates increase. Its purely statistics.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
So, let me get this straight: Out of hundreds of thousands of species on this planet, we are the one whose normal natural environment is toxic to them? We're don't have any features of nocturnal animals and can't see in the dark, so we are diurnal critters. We have adapted to this planet's sun over hundreds of thousands of years. But now, the sun will kill us even though we've been out in it for millennia?

Sell that sunscreen and trendy fad face rags.

JohnK

You are not a cool hipster fisherman unless you have one of those rag things that you pull up over your face like a bank robber.

That's me. I had 8 stiches removed from my nose this week that were from a skin cancer removal. I wish I had always worn one. I've had melanoma 5-6 times as well as other types and the scars, burn places to prove it. There is a lot of exposure driving a vehicle as well. This stuff is cumulative over a long period of time so you need to use some type of protection everyday.

MikeyD6

Deleted
So, let me get this straight: Out of hundreds of thousands of species on this planet, we are the one whose normal natural environment is toxic to them? We're don't have any features of nocturnal animals and can't see in the dark, so we are diurnal critters. We have adapted to this planet's sun over hundreds of thousands of years. But now, the sun will kill us even though we've been out in it for millennia?

Yeah, pretty much. We have adapted to survive it long enough to pass on our genes, then it gets us later in life, like most things.

Killdee

You know, growing up folks farming and gardening or working outside wore long sleeves and straw hats or sun bonnets, they had sense enough to know about sun damage this is not new. Women covered up to keep their skin smooth and unwrinkled. My mom still had smooth unwrinkled skin at 96 her sister 98,who rarely covered up and spent lots of time in Florida looked 20 years older and wrinkled like a prune.

BassMan31

You've still got it crooked. We don't have fur or feathers. ;) Put a naked chicken in the sun and I promise you their "natural" environment will be very unfavorable.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You've still got it crooked. We don't have fur or feathers. ;) Put a naked chicken in the sun and I promise you their "natural" environment will be very unfavorable.

Some of us have fur. :D

BassMan31

You know, growing up folks farming and gardening or working outside wore long sleeves and straw hats or sun bonnets, they had sense enough to know about sun damage this is not new. Women covered up to keep their skin smooth and unwrinkled. My mom still had smooth unwrinkled skin at 96 her sister 98,who rarely covered up and spent lots of time in Florida looked 20 years older and wrinkled like a prune.

This^

Skin Cancer is nothing new. Knowledge that the sun is not necessarily your friend is not new. I guess now people are so afraid of looking like a "hipster" they forego common sense. Oh well, I will remain unburnt.

BassMan31

Some of us have fur. :D

:bounce: I'll take your word for it. My guess is that if you relied on your "fur covering" to protect you from the sun, you'd come away burned to a thorough crisp. You're free to try it, though. :biggrin2: