Bass boat choice? Ranger? Skeeter? Stratos?

alexmlane

I am getting ready to purchase a nicer boat and just want to get a couple of opinions. I was going to spend $40k but started looking at some used boats with lower hours.

I can get a 2005 Ranger X21 or a 2007 Stratos XL for around $26k. Both have the Yamaha HPDI 250 and have low hours.

I have also looked at a couple of nice skeeters out there as well and havent ruled them out. Are all of these 3 boats even comparable to each other?

Any opinions or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!!

NDLucas

Ranger Z21, you will love it.

lake hartwell

I have owned 9 Rangers, 2 Stratos, 1 Skeeter, Have no idea why I bought the last 3??? Quality and resale easily make the Ranger the choice, especially if equally priced. Stratos is great for skin diving because you will already be soaking wet when you get to your location.

afishaday

I have only owned Ranger's... and it is all I will ever own based on rides in other boats. Skeeter is fine and I have been most impressed with them compared to others... would not have a Stratos.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Out of those choices...................Ranger all the way.......

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
I have a Ranger 350v. Made/bought in 1986. It's over 20 years old. It still sparkles; original seats; original carpet. I'm not sure when it will wear out. The motor has been replaced.

Get a used Ranger.

NDLucas

Yep, a 2003-2005 520vx, some great deals out there on that model/year range in particular. You can't go wrong with a Ranger. If you want to spend a bit more, the 2005/2006 Z20/Z21's are fairly reasonable as well.

alexmlane

Looks like hands down I need to go with a Ranger! Thanks a lot everyone for your opinion! I greatly appreciate it!

DAWG1419

Alex check out these used boats on the far right on the pull down(Basscats for sale). Hands down the Basscat is the one.My dad owned 2 Rangers before he got a Basscat.No comparison.And for 24k you can get a heck of a boat.If I had the money this is where I would spend it.Drive a ranger and then a basscat and tell us all which one is better. I think you will agree.

http://www.basscat.com/

THERAKE

I have fished out of all 3 in tournements and I own a stratos 21ss.If I was going to buy one now it would be a stratos or a ranger. I like the layout of the deck of a stratos but the ranger boat rides better.Ranger boats are known for good rough water boats.I assume you fish eufaula alot being that close and that lake can get very rough very fast. Its up to you just a little info for you to consider.

wcg2

TRITON X SERIES. I have fished in new Rangers and the dash and instruments are cheap compared to the Triton. Just my opinion.

big fish

Alex check out these used boats on the far right on the pull down(Basscats for sale). Hands down the Basscat is the one.My dad owned 2 Rangers before he got a Basscat.No comparison.And for 24k you can get a heck of a boat.If I had the money this is where I would spend it.Drive a ranger and then a basscat and tell us all which one is better. I think you will agree.

http://www.basscat.com/

I second that! Basscat are awsome :banana:

scubanole

for a smooth ride even in rough water look at charger. They can be difficult to find around here though. My dad and uncle both have one and they handle rough water very well, you will not get wet. i have fished tourny out of a stratos and you do get wet. out of those three you listed prob. the ranger or skeeter and the statos last.

Bnathanb1982

Boat

Whatever boat you get make sure you test drive it first and not just take someone's word on the boat. If the dealer or individual doesnt' want to take you out, go somewhere else to buy one. I know this sounds like it's common sense but you would be surprised.

Russ Toole

Center Console will allow you to bass fish, and go offshore or bayfish. Much more versatile boat. Sea Pro makes a good one. 21-23 ft.

riprap

I fished out of a hydra-sports for 12 years. Wanted a little newer boat and found a good deal on a 2005 ranger 520. No complaints. Runs around 70 with the 225 hpdi yamaha on it. Very heavy boat but floats in real shallow water. Try to get one with some warranty left on it. A little peace of mind.:)