Hebrews 13

welderguy

I'm not sure I would call Balaam a "false prophet", although a practitioner of divination he certainly was. I know, that requires explaining. I'm hesitant to use false prophet because he accurately spoke for God; that's what a prophet does. More on divination in a moment.

He was "not intending to curse" because he never intended to curse; his first and only intent was to go to God.

The practice of divination is connected here, but I'll let other's more skilled do the explaining.

From 2 Pet. 2:15 go to Jud. 1:11.

Now if I recall correctly you are familiar with the Primitive Baptist, and if you are familiar with the PB's you are familiar with the work of John Gill. If you go to his commentary on Jude 1:11 first, then to his commentary on 2 Pet. 2:15 I think you will understand Balaam's problem with his practice of divination and Peter's reference to his "love of the wages of unrighteousness"

I have noted that you have not mentioned Balaam's confession of sin (Num 22:34) and the context of that confession. That is quite understandable, given your current convictions, and I am not asking you to comment at this time. However, if the Spirit moves you to pray and study on it, and that prayer and study produces any adjustment, I would appreciate hearing about it. I understand that could be a long time.

Hummer,you were right! I owe you an apology my brother. What was I thinking?
I was going on memory alone and didn't read the entire account before I made my comments,and somehow I got my facts mixed up.I'm truly sorry for the trouble I put you through today,but I appreciate your patience with me.I learned some things today and I am very grateful but also humbled. PM sent.

Artfuldodger

God used their bad choices for our example.That's nothing new.The entire Old Testament is for our example.

Same as when I stole that pocket knife from the feed store.Daddy made an example of me to my brother.Daddy didn't make me take that knife, but he sure made sure of the end consequences.

Sorry, I've been busy today.
Now back to Romans 1;
And although Welderguy knew the truth about stealing, He thought himself wise and exchanged the truth for a knife.
Daddy became angry and Welderguy suffered the consequences.

Now why I say you believe as me is because even though God elects the good for salvation and the bad for dishonor, they still have day to day choices about stealing pocket knives or not worshiping God.
God chooses some things to insure the results he wants and we choose some things to go against God's results.

Wait this isn't going to work. If I get to choose results and even sins, God's plan isn't gonna go as he planned.
Causing or allowing humans to do anything can't be used by God as this still gives "man" a tiny bit of changing the end results of God's foreseen plan.

If God allows me to sin I might choose to ignore a particular sin which would change my fate.

Last edited:

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
Hummer,you were right! I owe you an apology my brother. What was I thinking?
I was going on memory alone and didn't read the entire account before I made my comments,and somehow I got my facts mixed up.I'm truly sorry for the trouble I put you through today,but I appreciate your patience with me.I learned some things today and I am very grateful but also humbled. PM sent.

No worries on this end. That patience you refer to others sometimes call stubbornness.

Latest posts