Lanier 9-17-17

TroyBoy30

Water Temp - 72
Water Clarity - 4ft +

Nothing much has changed out there but the water temp. It really took a dip after the storm. More of a surprise to me is the water level came up very little. Same summer time deep brush, 30-40 feet, pattern is still going strong, but things are slowly changing. There is a shallower, 18-25 feet, brush pattern starting to emerge but IMO the larger fish are still deeper. Same baits as everyone else. Spotsticker worms on drop shot, spybait, topwater, sebile switmbaits and the jig or shaky head when it gets slick out. I put in early to beat the GABC guys. They all headed south and I headed north and passed them at little hall. I wanted to fish all new water today and did pretty well hooking fish, just not catching them. I had 3 fish I never could turn on the spybait. 1 broke me off in some brush and the other 2 just swam right off with my bait. Never stopped just broke the line. Chances are they were striper but I think one was a very nice spot. Lost 2 more spybaits on the next stop to catchfish trying to get them off at the boat. First day ever losing 5 baits in 1 day. :O Boat traffic was much better today but it got hot quick with no wind. Things should really pick up soon.

2C668028-BC71-4BFD-AEDC-59893061290F_zps1xx2sllz.jpg

911413BF-A01A-410E-98D9-A5CA5FF88CED_zpsskolxahn.jpg

A5703B6A-02EE-4F18-851D-27F3BAD45352_zpski3okjuq.jpg

I picked up a new reel for the fx custom drop shot rod. I've been using the stradic ci4+ for a while and they are awesome. I was lucky enough to get my hands on a brand new model shimano and it's on a whole differt level. If you can afford it, it's second to none

1397251B-4F76-4ACC-9A2B-C37FF3AC07BF_zpszfrn3yt4.jpg

IMG_0402_zpsareden3s.jpg

Here's a second quick video of the ultrex spot lock. Took this last weekend in the 20 mph wind. Spot lock is accurate enough to drop shot and I caught 4 while locked

And a quick deer crossing video from last week

Last edited:

crankie

TroyBoy30, is one of the gps modules in the video for the Ultrex?

If so, I've heard conflicting info in terms of where to best place the module. It would make sense to me that the best place for it is to be as close to the Ultrex as possible. But I heard it's better to put it toward the middle of the boat (for some unknown reasons).

Do you know what the real story is? Planning on getting one. thx

TroyBoy30

correct. I have 2 pucks on the bow. one is the heading sensor for the ultrex and the other is the gps/heading sensor for the bow solix unit. Where you mount it depends on your particular boat. You just want to find a spot with no electrical interference. You can do that with a simple compass. It's only needed for the jog feature and it connects to the motor via blue tooth.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1...g_Sensor_Installation.pdf?1436222554949819051

StriperrHunterr

correct. I have 2 pucks on the bow. one is the heading sensor for the ultrex and the other is the gps/heading sensor for the bow solix unit. Where you mount it depends on your particular boat. You just want to find a spot with no electrical interference. You can do that with a simple compass. It's only needed for the jog feature and it connects to the motor via blue tooth.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1...g_Sensor_Installation.pdf?1436222554949819051

Do you know if there are any plans in the works to add a tandem GPS into the spot lock trolling motors to not only keep a point, but to keep a heading as well? Asking because I may be doing a new setup in the near future and I don't want to repeat the same lack of inquiry I did with the previous.

TroyBoy30

I haven't heard anything but you never know. the difference is in how they connect. the ultrex is bluetooth, where the solix is via a nmea 0183 adapter and connected directly to the unit.

StriperrHunterr

I haven't heard anything but you never know. the difference is in how they connect. the ultrex is bluetooth, where the solix is via a nmea 0183 adapter and connected directly to the unit.

Ah. If we can get the deal to work on my boat I'll be reaching out to you for that Ulterra we talked about a while back, and will need help spec'ing a couple fishfinders, one for the bow other for the console, that don't break the bank. I know I want 2d, down and side imaging, with the 2d being a through hull shot because this will be an aluminum boat and those are cake walks so I've heard to get working like that. Lakemaster is another necessity, on both units, autochart and smartstrike would be nice but not a need since I fish Lanier 99.9998% of the time and the Lakemaster chart is more than sufficient for what I'm doing. Not looking for touchscreen, and I'd like to have a couple of quick buttons to set favorite views and be able to switch quickly and cleanly.

TroyBoy30