Goverment money to private land

Mark R

From what I am told a private landowner got a very large grant from fed and state to build a huge beautiful lake . Even got engineers to help do it . I don't understand . Its waterfowl habitat payed for by government money . No public access . Our money but No Tresspassing !

Mexican Squealer

Wish more folks in Georgia would take advantage of it . You may not have hunting access to it but you still reap the benefits that come from larger amounts of ducks in the area. Wish private land owners would manage for birds in GA like we do in SC.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Wish more folks in Georgia would take advantage of it . You may not have hunting access to it but you still reap the benefits that come from larger amounts of ducks in the area. Wish private land owners would manage for birds in GA like we do in SC.

Yep. The US Fish & Wildlife Service has been doing it for many decades. Using them as a resource has succeeded where local requests to counties and even the state have failed.

It is a win / win for the duck population and hunters in the state.

MudDucker

Staff member
Any facts to back up the hearsay? Sounds like something I need to look into for my place.

Possum

Banned
Probably not a "lake" but an improved system for drainage and flooding of waterfowl habitat.
USDA also gives grants to improve quail, deer, etc habitat on private land. I applied for a grant to do firebreaks and prescribed burning on my place but was denied. They use a scoring system to decide who gets how much money and the landowner who can most benefit the local wildlife the most will get priority on funding.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
OK then . I guess I just dont understand . Wrong side of the idea I guess .

I ran into a fella that owned a tree farm several decades ago. Had a really nice lake to irrigate his couple of hundred acres of trees from. He had petitioned all State agencies to allow him to build the lake so he didn't have to go broke watering them off of county water to no avail. He got wind of the Federal programs and took advantage of them, saving him hundreds of thousands and saving his business.

Otherwise he would have gone broke and out of business and the county would have gotten their wish and put one of their good buddy developers in position to build a grand subdivision full of houses in place of the tree farm.

I suppose you have to pick your poison on how the game is going to be played. Personally, I'd rather my tax dollars go towards habitat construction and development than EBT and other welfare programs.

Possum

Banned
Let's put it this way, the landowner probably pays hundreds of thousands of dollars in property taxes over his lifetime. If he can get a couple thousand dollars back in the way of cost sharing on habitat improvements that benefits the local wildlife, that's a good use of tax dollars. Without these grants, we'd all have less wildlife to enjoy.

Mark R

I understand more habitat more wildlife . If they make it to and from . I just wish public money =public land . And I aint talkin about a couple thousand . it was 6 figures

Last edited:

cr00241

I understand more habitat more wildlife . If they make it to and from . I just wish public money =public land . And I aint talkin about a couple thousand . it was 6 figures

6 figures for a pond/lake on private land doesn't bother me. I don't have access to people's fridge who get food stamps every month that my tax dollars pay for.

If you come to Augusta, I can take you to Walmart and show you what I am talking about. Millions of tax payers dollars spent by people who know how to work the system.

I wouldn't be upset by a landowner who legally gets government grants.

Mark R

I agree . Spur of the moment I did not think of all the lost and wasted tax dollars on people that shouldn't get it . I would much rather it go to wildlife .

across the river

Millions of tax dollars go to landowners every year for various programs like, CRP, WRP, etc.... I had a buddy that got money to build an impoundment and put a well in to flood it. He just had to agree to flood it for a certain period every year. Like others have said, they spend and waste a lot of money on other stuff that I don't agree with at all, so in comparison I'll take habitat on private land any day of the week.