Opinions on Composite decking

BDD

I’m replacing the deck boards and add more decking. Is the composite
Worth the money ? I’ve never used it.

sinclair1

Brands vary. Some flex really bad, some hold tons of heat if in the sun and some super slick when wet. :flag:

GA native

What Sinclair said.

I can add that I have seen composite decking sag several inches between joists. And that was on decks with the recommended 16" inch joist layout. I've replaced composite handrails because they could not even support themselves.

I like the idea of zero maintenance composite decking, but so far, the execution is poor. To my experience, composite can't take direct sunlight.

snookdoctor

If it is exposed to sun for long periods, it will fade pretty bad. It also gets very hot in the sun. Wood looks OK when the sun bleaches it. Composite...not so much.

jigman29

Composite is by far not maintenance free. You still have to have it cleaned like wood or it will get a terrible look to it from the sun oxidizing it. But it's definitely a better choice than it was a decade ago. But look at the cost of it vs some of the exotic woods out there. They are in the ballpark on price and will hold up better in some instances that composites. But, regular pressure treated will last a very long time if you maintain it properly.

1gr8bldr

Since I do my own labor, I'm cheaper replacing wood every ten years. If you hire it done, better to spend the money and it last 3x longer. If you use hidden fastners, replacement of a board is a nightmare resulting in you taking up all the way to the damaged board from whichever side it was laid. I have never had any call backs. However, I use the good stuff. There is cheap classified as composite. If you spend the money, don't get a solid color. It will look bad in the end. Get a blended color and use a darker solid as your perimeter board.

shakey gizzard

Since I do my own labor, I'm cheaper replacing wood every ten years. If you hire it done, better to spend the money and it last 3x longer. If you use hidden fastners, replacement of a board is a nightmare resulting in you taking up all the way to the damaged board from whichever side it was laid. I have never had any call backs. However, I use the good stuff. There is cheap classified as composite. If you spend the money, don't get a solid color. It will look bad in the end. Get a blended color and use a darker solid as your perimeter board.

Most the time the heads on the fasteners will bust off or bend. "Most!" ;) Choosing a color that fades to natural is key!