Found a good one while dove hunting, what is it?

PappyHoel

What type and how old? It's one of the better ones I've found.

Attachments

• IMG_0436.jpg
    IMG_0436.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 1,608
  • IMG_0437.jpg
    IMG_0437.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,608

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Knowing how big it is would help. Offhand, it kind of looks like a Woodland-era point with a broken stem. It also has an impact fracture on the tip. It looks to be made from a really nice piece of chalcedony.

PappyHoel

Knowing how big it is would help. Offhand, it kind of looks like a Woodland-era point with a broken stem. It also has an impact fracture on the tip. It looks to be made from a really nice piece of chalcedony.

It's a little bit bigger than a quarter.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
That is a some nice material.

PappyHoel

The cool thing that hillbilly mentioned, you can see the impact chip and the rings around the stem that broke. Someone fired it at something about 1500 years ago. hunting same land I am :)

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I love to find projectile points with impact fractures. They tell a story that even a perfect one can`t tell.

PappyHoel

I love to find projectile points with impact fractures. They tell a story that even a perfect one can`t tell.

That's the fun part , daydreaming about what happened

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

I've got a couple-three original points made from it-mostly old stuff like Palmers and Lecroy age stuff. I find a chunk of it every now and then in the river below the house. I don't know if occurs naturally here, or was carried in by people a long time ago. It sure knaps nice, though.