Lanier Report w/video

Scout'nStripers

This week I was out Monday afternoon/early evening, Wednesday afternoon and yesterday morning. The water has warmed up again and yesterday I was seeing a lot of surface temps pushing 80+ again. The early morning has been the best for surfacing fish. They are surfacing a little throughout the day but the schooling fish has been the best early to mid morning. The popper bite has slowed considerably but the walking bait bite was strong yesterday. The stripers are hitting the surface in places near the river channel and deeper water and being in the right place when they come up is the key. A good way to get a few stripers right now is to throw a popping or walking bait over main lake humps early in the morning. Here's a little video from yesterday morning. I was basically just running and gunning humps and points and watching the surface for schooling activity. I found some....

Scout'nStripers

Got one second cast on the popper! Thanks again! Maybe I need the hump buster too.
Glad it worked out with the popper. It might not be a bad idea. I'm glad I had it tied on yesterday. When those fish started schooling and I slung that popper off I looked down at that walking bait and said "your up". LOL..

fish hawk

Bass Master
Nice sack of bass Chief,good video,glad you don't do some kind of country rap video background music,much better just hearing the fish hitting.

Scout'nStripers

Nice sack of bass Chief,good video,glad you don't do some kind of country rap video background music,much better just hearing the fish hitting.

I like the natural sound too. There's something to be said for the serenity and anticipation of having an area to yourself early in the morning and the chance of a surfacing fish. It's a feeling like no other....

Hookum

Nice write up and video. When we going fishing?

Scout'nStripers

Nice write up and video. When we going fishing?
I'm up for going later this week Hookum. If we go in that water rocket of yours I'm going to need to pick up some Depends before I go...LOL. Thursday or Friday?

Hookum

I'm up for going later this week Hookum. If we go in that water rocket of yours I'm going to need to pick up some Depends before I go...LOL. Thursday or Friday?

Just got back on here...work is busy as can be, and if I can get out, it's only for the afternoon. But, was out Monday and Tuesday so not so sure the wife would be happy with more. LOL!

Scout'nStripers

I hear ya Hookum, I've got a lot going on too. Tomorrow Lisa and I are going out with LJ so I'm sure Lisa and LJ will be dropping while I'm popping. I did sneak out yesterday afternoon to see if I could catch a few. I caught a bunch of schooling 1-2 pounders on the walking bait and finally busted a stud when the wind picked up.

Attachments

• 20170927170435(1).jpg
    20170927170435(1).jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:

Hookum

Yep, you need the sun and the wind or boat wakes. It's crazy when boats go by in the right area.

Scout'nStripers

Yep, you need the sun and the wind or boat wakes. It's crazy when boats go by in the right area.
Definitely wind and boats help to stir it up and create a little distortion on the surface. I can fool the little guys all day with calm water using the popper but the big girls are more likely to be fooled when there is chop.