Gutting an old camper... questions...

biggdogg

I have been in a hunt club for 4 years now and before last season, I was given a small camper by one of the older members. Space is limited and I'm wanting to completely gut it so that I can build bunks for my kids and a bed for me. I want to tear out the cabinets, stove and refrigerator. Is there anything I should know about before I go tearing things out? I plan on putting paneling up on the wall where the cabinets are and most likely just some stick down tiles on the floor.

Bigtimber

I'm certainly no expert....but I would think some or all of those interior walls and half walls are fairly critical to the integrity of the camper shell ( exterior walls) as a whole. Tearing out those walls might be a mistake. Something to think about.....

Grub Master

I did the same thing a couple of years ago. I kept the bathroom all and some cabinets. If the roof is still in good shape you shouldn't have a problem. I re-wired and plumbed it and put down vinyl plank flooring. I used 1/4" underlayment for the walls and ceiling and it looks fine.
Good luck and have fun with it.

7Mag Hunter

I have refurbed 2 old campers.....Its a big job and kinda like a
snowball rolling down hill....A seemingly small(simple) job gets
massive.....
I tore everything out of one and ripped PT 2X4 into approx 2x2
strips to use as frame/joists/supports....screwed 2x3 (pt) to the
floors and built up walls from there....just used drywall screws
to hold everything, 2" bats for insulation and cheap paneling for the ceiling and walls......A full summers work !!!!!

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I started one several years ago. The more I tore out, the more I had to tear out! It can be done, and they turn out really great, just be prepared to put more time in it than you think you need to.

Stroker

A lot depends if you plan to tow it back and forth to your camp site or leave it there year round. If towing you need to leave some interior structure such as cabinets or closets to help prevent racking. If your leaving it year round strip it to the studs/rafters, rewire the whole thing with modern components, have it spray foamed, lay down a good linoleum floor covering, install paneling and beds or bunks and you good to go.

WaltL1

A few members here have done it and documented it along the way with lots of pics and info etc.
Use the Search feature. Not sure which forum category or if it matters. I know Woodsman69 is one of the guys maybe shoot him a pm.

rayjay

I would pull out the fiberglass insulation and use some sort of foam board. Maybe use FRP for the interior walls. Try to make it rot resistant.

rospaw

I started one several years ago. The more I tore out, the more I had to tear out! It can be done, and they turn out really great, just be prepared to put more time in it than you think you need to.

This! It is amazing the amount of time it takes to what you think it should.

Buddy did one and he ripped it all out but the head and front cabinets. Taped the windows off and spray foamed the walls. Looked like the inside of a cave, :bounce: but after 6 years it has held up GREAT and stays warm/cool better than anything i/he has seen. He has one working
small window other that the door window. The rest are sealed really well.

Dr. Strangelove

Sometimes free things are the most expensive things of all... :banginghe

I've never done a camper, but I've remodeled a couple of small sailboats, which are essentially floating campers. It always ends up being a waaaaaay bigger project than you think it is going to be.

I'd leave it alone unless it's absolutely unusable the way that it sits.

If you do decide to tear into it, I'd have hard stopping point in mind, no matter what you find, otherwise you're likely to find yourself rebuilding the entire camper. (If that's what you want to to, go for it)