220 gr in 3006

georgia_home

The remington corelokt 220's will do the job on deer and hogs.

I started using them on combined deer/bear wma hunts and being sighted in and having 20, I carried them.

A few deer, a few hogs, no problems. All shots were under 100y. We hunted pines, with only short lanes.

fishtail

They will do fine, just pay attention to the animal the projectile is rated for, all but a couple are easily going to shoot straight through Georgia sized deer. So be prepared for that.

pdsniper

that is a awful heavy bullet for a O6 for shooting deer it will do the job but from years of doing Ballistic research on deer with Federal rangers, I have found the a light bullet at high velocity will drop them a lot quicker

Rich M

What you want to shoot?

I've got a box of 220 nosler partitions for 30-06. My dad used to use em for taking white pines down to clear shooting lanes and keep the view open at his place up north - these trees were like 24+ inches across. He'd shoot em 3-4 times before a good blow. Always got full penetration.

Shy of a moose or grizzly or big black angus bull, IMO a 150 or 165 is all you need.

jmoser

I load Sierra round nose 220s in my .308; Sierra says need 2100 fps minimum for any expansion. These stabilize well in 1:12 twist bbls; the 220 boattails are very long and need 1:10 twist.

My .308 load is almost identical to the original 30-40 Krag loading; I found data in a 1970's Hodgdon manual.

I don't know standard twist for 30/06; my .300s are 1:10 and most sporting .308s are 1:12.

But soft point 220 ammo like Remington Core Lokt is wonderful within 100 yards; hammers them right down.

lonewolf247

I think they would do fine within 150 yards, or so, but just not the optimal bullet weight for 30-06. Unless your getting the ammo free or an outstanding deal on them, I'd go with something between 150-180 grain.

Before better constructed bullets were manufactured, maybe there was more of a need for heavier bullets like 200-220 grain in 30-06, for game like moose or brown bears. However, with today's bullet selection, I think all big game in North America, can be hunted with 30-06 in 150-180 grain.

Ideally, IMO, I'd use 150 or 165 grain for deer, and 180 grain for elk, moose, or bear.

rosewood

You plan on hunting Moose? IHMO, 150 or 165 is all you will ever need for whitetails and hogs around here. They probably cost more don't they?

Don't any one of us actually answered your question did we?

But, no, I have never used them, but I do study a lot of ballistics and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Rosewood

markland

220gr loads were offered for larger big game to increase penetration likely to not penetrate well on smaller big game animals and only leave a small hole and not enough damage, not recommended for deer hunting, use a 150-165 for deer.

243SuperRC

A few years back, I was hunting with a friend who shot a doe with a 220 gr round nose out of his 30/06. She ran about 100 yards. When we cleaned her, you could see that the bullet passed through her heart. It was a small wound channel with little or no damage. If he had hit just the lungs, she would have probably gone a long ways, may never have found her. I like 150-165 gr soft points or ballistic tips. They usually turn the heart and lungs to liquid from "hydro-shock".

amoore28

Thanks all for the advice. Killed deer with plenty of 150-180 .308 bullets. I am just tired of doing the cookie cutter things I read in all these hunting magazines. I just like too re invent the wheel. Just wanted to hunt with some rnsp 220 s of of my rem 7600 carbine with iron sights. I was aiming for a large projectile traveling at lower velocity. Almost like a 45/70 type deal. Wanting for run and gun 100 yard type load. Thanks

7Mag Hunter

I handloaded some 20+ yrs ago for an Elk/Blacktail deer hunt in
Oregon.....They did a number on a Blacktail buck....Kicks a bit
more, greater drop at longer distance, but shot good......

I normally load 180 gr, but switched to 165gr HP this year....

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks all for the advice. Killed deer with plenty of 150-180 .308 bullets. I am just tired of doing the cookie cutter things I read in all these hunting magazines. I just like too re invent the wheel. Just wanted to hunt with some rnsp 220 s of of my rem 7600 carbine with iron sights. I was aiming for a large projectile traveling at lower velocity. Almost like a 45/70 type deal. Wanting for run and gun 100 yard type load. Thanks

Should work fine.

snuffy

Back in the 70's me and all my friends used 220 grain round nose bullets ( Winchester Power Points I think) in our742's and they worked great.
We killed a LOT of deer with them. Never had a problem.

Rich M

Enjoy the process.

I went smaller when I decided to have fun - went to a 357 mag rifle and it is a great 100-yard deer gun.

snuffy

I have went smaller and larger.

Guess I am larger now .54 Cal. black powder.

JeffinPTC

Here's what Sierra recommends. Question was for 300 winmag for Ga whitetails, but probably the same for 30-06:

You should be able to use our #2145 165gr SBT GameKing or even our #2140 165gr HPBT GameKing with great success on whitetails at close range.

deast1988

220gr corelokt should work for how you wanna used it.

I'd opt for 180gr roundnose should be easier to find kick less An serve you really well for your 100yds or less shots. We got some close out years ago, 180 round nose in .308 was bad news to the deer that recieved it. The extra velocity of 30/06 should allow some expansion where the 220gr might over penetrate.

ripplerider

I'm sure it will kill deer but dont expect 45 caliber performance out of a 30 caliber round. I shoot 150 grains out of my '06 real happy with their performance.