Walking with God, is the bible required?

gordon 2

As Enoch and Noah walked with God how was it that they walked with God without the bible?

Both these individuals preceded Abraham and Zacharias, Moses and Paul from which the scriptures ( Old and New Testaments) stem.

Genesis 5:22 Enoch continued to walk with the true God.

Walking with God, is the bible required? It appears not according to scripture.

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
re:

I suppose there is potential for anyone to walk with God without the Bible when walking in complete communication with Him and in perfect obedience to Him! Enoch walked with God in such a way that many presume he never died! But not much written down at the time of Enoch but it points to a truth that God is always speaking but not everyone hears. Enoch did and also Noah to a point.

I am also convinced that the Scriptures (God's revealed word) helps all men today have that potential to walk with Him through Christ! John 20:30-31 comes to mind!

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
The scriptures are first, and foremost, a gracious gift of God.

As you point out, it would be difficult to argue that they are necessary.

hawglips

Banned
I believe the word of God is required - in the sense that without it, one does not know the will of God, and therefore cannot do it; and if we don't do the will of the Father, then we miss out on heaven (Matt. 7:21).

But the word of God isn't just what has been recorded and accepted as canonized scripture. The word of God comes from God - through direct communication from God as per Enoch, Noah, Moses, etc., through angelic ministrations, through the Holy Ghost, or through the records of these communications which are written down by those who received them - i.e., scripture.

j_seph

I suppose there is potential for anyone to walk with God without the Bible when walking in complete communication with Him and in perfect obedience to Him! Enoch walked with God in such a way that many presume he never died! But not much written down at the time of Enoch but it points to a truth that God is always speaking but not everyone hears. Enoch did and also Noah to a point.

I am also convinced that the Scriptures (God's revealed word) helps all men today have that potential to walk with Him through Christ! John 20:30-31 comes to mind!
Makes me think of the kid playing a video game. He'll sit there and you can talk to him, holler at him, make a noise and their eyes never leave that screen. Just as we are today with life in general, God will speak to us but like that kid we are so tied up carnally in this world today we do not even hear his voice. Even seen kids later on say they heard ya but don't know what was said to them. Again just as we are with God he talks to us but we couldn't tell you what he said because out attention goes to the worldly things more so than one on one with God.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
That's a great analogy j.

gordon 2

Makes me think of the kid playing a video game. He'll sit there and you can talk to him, holler at him, make a noise and their eyes never leave that screen. Just as we are today with life in general, God will speak to us but like that kid we are so tied up carnally in this world today we do not even hear his voice. Even seen kids later on say they heard ya but don't know what was said to them. Again just as we are with God he talks to us but we couldn't tell you what he said because out attention goes to the worldly things more so than one on one with God.

So, God talk missed is like parent talk when kinder are distracted by play? ( It possibly worked this way with the Hebrews, but Christians?

Yet should not God talk be the life itself, that is eternal life within the believer? Can play be a distraction to eternal life?

I somehow don't think so. It might be more you got it or you don't have it.. and therefore all the bible quotations to explain stuff is adrift in The Sea of It Might Mean This if you don't have the Son and eternal life.

Here have a go at this scripture and if you don't get it the first go around you might have to question your alter call or have a revisit.

Quote{11And this is that testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. 12Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life. 13I have written these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life.…} end quote

Now... are you distracted, knowing not where to go, what to do, or does this verse hit you like the bark of a drill sergeant and you know right where you stand with passing... certainty?

Last edited:

gordon 2

13 They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away.

14 And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection.

15 But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.

16 No man, when he hath lighted a candle, covereth it with a vessel, or putteth it under a bed; but setteth it on a candlestick, that they which enter in may see the light.

Roots? Our soil is rooted with eternal life from which patience ( love) brings forth fruit?

"And that which fell among thorns are they"... Are they J's analogy?

"which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it"?

Last edited:

j_seph

Trying to cypher what you are getting at. Just because we hear his voice does not mean we listen to his voice.

gordon 2

Maybe God talks and we hear, we just choose not to heed.

Well, for me God talks with his love, from love and out of love. That love is with the saint...

Personally I find it strange that a saint would not heed. What I suspect it that some might think they are christian for various reasons but their use of God's love is as if they were guided by God's discipline as with the Hebrews and they know only this love. But that is not our love... We have the ministry of Jesus as described in scripture, his example with people in general, and we have his words, his teachings about all sorts of relationships, and we have people who have freshly received the Holy Spirit such as Paul, Peter, John and James the Just and we have the ministering of the Holy Spirit and we have the body of Christ, as the church.

So what's not to heed? Can you give example of not heeding? I might try to give you one: When a congregation, a brand of christians or its members, under the name of Christ encourages the temper of the Roman body politic in individuals, and so to deal with the world as the world deals with itself, even today, then it might be not heeding.

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

Well, for me God talks with his love, from love and out of love. That love is with the saint...

Personally I find it strange that a saint would not heed. What I suspect it that some might think they are christian for various reasons but their use of God's love is as if they were guided by God's discipline as with the Hebrews and they know only this love. But that is not our love... We have the ministry of Jesus as described in scripture, his example with people in general, and we have his words, his teachings about all sorts of relationships, and we have people who have freshly received the Holy Spirit such as Paul, Peter, John and James the Just and we have the ministering of the Holy Spirit and we have the body of Christ, as the church.

So what's not to heed? Can you give example of not heeding? I might try to give you one: When a congregation, a brand of christians or its members, under the name of Christ encourages the temper of the Roman body politic, and deal with the world as the world deals with itself, even today, then it might be not heeding.

What about the Holy Spirit telling me to sing, dance, laugh, or roll around on the floor and I just sit because I don't want to be labeled a fanatic?
I hear the calling but I don't heed. I get the feeling but I don't react. I don't "walk with God" in that instant.

j_seph

What about the Holy Spirit telling me to sing, dance, laugh, or roll around on the floor and I just sit because I don't want to be labeled a fanatic?
I hear the calling but I don't heed. I get the feeling but I don't react. I don't "walk with God" in that instant.
This was sort of my thought, I can remember a devotional we were doing for our teens on a Thursday night for a couple months before they started back to school. One of the leaders said he felt we needed to go into the chapel, hold hands around the pulpit. As we gathered around it I looked down at the oil in front of it. It came to me we might should anoint the pulpit. Instead of picking it up and doing that that instant I delayed just a few seconds. One of the other leaders reached down and grabbed it and did so. I did not say a word to anyone when this feeling came on me. I didn't heed his voice, what the Lord wanted done got done regardless. Just a few minutes after that she felt tingling all over, as did the 2 that were holding her hands when we started to pray. She actually led the prayer and I have never heard Mrs Kathy pray so hard with so much spirit in my life.

Artfuldodger

This was sort of my thought, I can remember a devotional we were doing for our teens on a Thursday night for a couple months before they started back to school. One of the leaders said he felt we needed to go into the chapel, hold hands around the pulpit. As we gathered around it I looked down at the oil in front of it. It came to me we might should anoint the pulpit. Instead of picking it up and doing that that instant I delayed just a few seconds. One of the other leaders reached down and grabbed it and did so. I did not say a word to anyone when this feeling came on me. I didn't heed his voice, what the Lord wanted done got done regardless. Just a few minutes after that she felt tingling all over, as did the 2 that were holding her hands when we started to pray. She actually led the prayer and I have never heard Mrs Kathy pray so hard with so much spirit in my life.

Amen, that's powerful!

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
If you dont use God's word you can just do and teach anything your mind conjures up.
Sounds like a great modern-day plan.

gordon 2

If you dont use God's word you can just do and teach anything your mind conjures up.
Sounds like a great modern-day plan.

It is possible yes. However... does not the HS reprove, guide, teach independent of scripture those who do and teach so that it is not anything a mind might conjure up? The Holy Spirit might teach from the kingdom, while lots of what is related in scripture was before the kingdom was and when men thought other men what scripture meant? Now God teaches directly... ?

Jack Ryan

As Enoch and Noah walked with God how was it that they walked with God without the bible?

Both these individuals preceded Abraham and Zacharias, Moses and Paul from which the scriptures ( Old and New Testaments) stem.

Genesis 5:22 Enoch continued to walk with the true God.

Walking with God, is the bible required? It appears not according to scripture.

Ya might have a better shot at answering this from reading the Bible than an internet hunting board.

gordon 2

Ya might have a better shot at answering this from reading the Bible than an internet hunting board.
\
Thanks bros. Good point. However my friends here often come up with good points. But yea, I should look for answers in scripture more than I do. It's just that a lot of the friends here have a head start in scripture searching on me...

hawglips

Banned
I believe the word of God is required - in the sense that without it, one does not know the will of God, and therefore cannot do it; and if we don't do the will of the Father, then we miss out on heaven (Matt. 7:21).

But the word of God isn't just what has been recorded and accepted as canonized scripture. The word of God comes from God - through direct communication from God as per Enoch, Noah, Moses, etc., through angelic ministrations, through the Holy Ghost, or through the records of these communications which are written down by those who received them - i.e., scripture.

But by clarification, I also believe a lot of folks that have not had access to the Bible walked with God (literally and figuratively).