Shotgun pattern.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
To me, it seems like pattern testing is not at all as common for waterfowl loads as it is for turkey. I'm just as guilty of it as anyone else. I'll Stop in a store and buy a few boxes of shells that have a pretty box and go hunting. This year I plan on changing that, I'm gonna spend more time at a range with a bench shooting different loads with different chokes.

Why do you think it's not as common? Or do you think it's just not talked about as much?

HuntDawg

My guess is that 9 out of 10 times you miss, you are behind the bird, and the other 1 time, you are very far behind the bird. :clap:

Just my guess as to why more do not do it.

obadiah

A few years ago I bought about 10 different boxes and shot a few shells of each at paper with different chokes. All of them would kill a duck over decoys, but for my gun, the more expensive shells (blindside, black cloud, heavy metal, hypersonic) and the cheapest (xpert) all had holes in the pattern.

Kent's had the best pattern for me but it was about neck and neck with the basic federals and remongtons.

Let us know what you find.

krazybronco2

my guess would be it isnt as common like you said most see the pretty box and some fancy choke tube and go hunting. also it isnt like turkey hunting where you have to know where your point of aim is.

if im shooting factory stuff i normally dont pattern it but i did pattern my reloads when i first started reloading. which reminds me i need to go pattern my A5 with my reloads.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
. also it isnt like turkey hunting where you have to know where your point of aim is.

That's what I always thought, I've been doing alot of research, and pattern density isn't as important with ducks as it is with turkey, but the POA is a big deal, you want your gun to have about 60% of the load above POA, and 40% below POA.

Attachments

• ShotgunPOI.jpg
    ShotgunPOI.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 378

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Water swats, cheap 2 3/4" steel #6 loads, awesome swatters and close in ducks to 30 yds.

Factory mod here, does great, why change

homey

That's what I always thought, I've been doing alot of research, and pattern density isn't as important with ducks as it is with turkey, but the POA is a big deal, you want your gun to have about 60% of the load above POA, and 40% below POA.

Mine is set up and adjusted to shoot where I'm looking. Isn't that what you want?

I patterned mine, and surprisingly the shells I thought would pattern best didn't.

The surprise winners were Hevimetal and Hypersonics, and the loser was Kents, which I had the most confidence in before I patterned.

Quackmasterofgeorgia

I patterned mine, and surprisingly the shells I thought would pattern best didn't.

The surprise winners were Hevimetal and Hypersonics, and the loser was Kents, which I had the most confidence in before I patterned.

When I patterned my 870 with a kicks high flier, hevimetal was best, second best was blind side, and the worst two were spectra shot and kents which surprised me. Federal was in between.

Jack Ryan

My guess is that 9 out of 10 times you miss, you are behind the bird, and the other 1 time, you are very far behind the bird. :clap:

Just my guess as to why more do not do it.

Ditto.

Some people do pattern, and then some of those people don't learn a thing from it.

More important than the pattern density is does it shoot to point of aim.

And do people even KNOW HOW to aim a shotgun.

And are they aiming it correctly every time.

DRBugman85

I've pattern every shotgun shell and choke, (fixed are screw in choke )with all my shotguns,Dove,Turkey, Duck and (Deer /Buckshot and Slug )and POA & POI can differ with manufacturer, load and velocity.I would not buy a truck with out driving it so why should I not pattern the shells I will shoot.A lot of shooting is instinct from shooting lot of ammo especially wingshooting.I found that going to a skeet range helps with every angle that you can shoot. I Still go to the skeet range and tune up before hunting season arrives and that improves my shooting 10 fold.I was taught to POINT & SWING not AIM when wingshooting.I aim when turkey / deer hunting.Every shotgun shoots different as does shotgun shells IMO.

I've pattern every shotgun shell and choke, (fixed are screw in choke )with all my shotguns,Dove,Turkey, Duck and (Deer /Buckshot and Slug )and POA & POI can differ with manufacturer, load and velocity.I would not buy a truck with out driving it so why should I not pattern the shells I will shoot.A lot of shooting is instinct from shooting lot of ammo especially wingshooting.I found that going to a skeet range helps with every angle that you can shoot. I Still go to the skeet range and tune up before hunting season arrives and that improves my shooting 10 fold.I was taught to POINT & SWING not AIM when wingshooting.I aim when turkey / deer hunting.Every shotgun shoots different as does shotgun shells IMO.
Where is a good load of number 4 or 6 high brass lead when you need it:bounce:

Jack Ryan

"Point and swing" is part of the difference between shooting a rifle and shooting a shotgun, but hitting what you want to hit with them consistently does involve aiming both. It's just not done the same way.

DRBugman85

Aming at a deer,hog,elk are a moose while it's standing still is easy,Finding a Dove,duck are a clay pigeon is Target accusation and pointing and swinging a shotgun is more instinct.Try aiming a shotgun at a deer with a pack of dog's after his behind is pointing and swing. Wingshooting you put the shot string ahead of the target in hopes the target Flys into the pattern, that not aming that's pointing. ..::ke:

Jack Ryan

When I'm in Georgia, I'll point then.

In Indiana the dog does the pointing and I do the killing.