Ricky Gervais quote

ambush80

I am assuming that was Hummer's reference?

I rethought the second part and have concluded that we are still very much under the influence of our baser instincts like tribalism. We've begun to reject those notions or at least compartmentalize them but in a "reboot" situation I anticipate that we might revert to our instincts. I'm afraid deities would arise again for similar reasons that they did during our evolutionary past. They just might be a byproduct of how our meat, particularly the meat in our heads, is arranged.

WaltL1

I rethought the second part and have concluded that we are still very much under the influence of our baser instincts like tribalism. We've begun to reject those notions or at least compartmentalize them but in a "reboot" situation I anticipate that we might revert to our instincts. I'm afraid deities would arise again for similar reasons that they did during our evolutionary past. They just might be a byproduct of how our meat, particularly the meat in our heads, is arranged.
Good point.
Might be able to wipe the slate clean but the slate is still there.

red neck richie

So which it?
Are we predestined and god knows all?
Or
Do we have free will and can surprise god?

Refer to your post #207 before answering.

Bullet I'm not going to play checkers with you. You know my position. Continue to play uno with Welder. You wont drag me in. I don't know why you cant have a normal discussion without all the animosity. I like discussions with Walt and Ambush. We can discuss things without being so condescending and personal. Its good back and forth discussion. The only reason I come on this site is because I'm curious as why you don't believe. And yes to share my experiences and beliefs as you share yours. Sorry I didn't respond to your question earlier but I was in the woods all weekend enjoying Creation.

red neck richie

So my 18yo daughter comes and asks me Dad will you ever go to another concert after what happened in Las Vegas. I answered absolutely. I started quoting Psalms 23:4 to her and she finished the quote and said I understand. One proud papa.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Bullet I'm not going to play checkers with you. You know my position. Continue to play uno with Welder. You wont drag me in. I don't know why you cant have a normal discussion without all the animosity. I like discussions with Walt and Ambush. We can discuss things without being so condescending and personal. Its good back and forth discussion. The only reason I come on this site is because I'm curious as why you don't believe. And yes to share my experiences and beliefs as you share yours. Sorry I didn't respond to your question earlier but I was in the woods all weekend enjoying Creation.
That's ok. I like to converse with honest people.
I dont drag anyone into anything. You either answer or you don't. Most don't when the truth is something other than what they have been spewing. If they do answer it is a reply that has nothing to do with what was asked. They dont like to get the bottom of their sandals wet trying to step out of the corner they painted themselves into. They wait for it to dry and try to sneek out hoping nobody notices.
I notice.

Last edited:

red neck richie

That's ok. I like to converse with honest people.
I dont drag anyone into anything. You either answer or you don't. Most don't when the truth is something other than what they have been spewing. If they do answer it os a reply that has nothing to do with what was asked. They dont like to het the bottom of their sandals wet trying to step out of the corner they painted themselves into. They wait for it to dry and try to sneek out hoping nobody notices.
I notice.
Its weird you brought up sandals. Perhaps you wash feet before entering you abode?

Israel

BANNED

Tribalism is just selfism writ large.

And that ain't going away by self's impetus.

That separated self is grasping like a mad man for anything to keep it afloat. And that frenetic activity is purposed to its sinking.

Float.

Or not.

Jesus answered “Truly, truly, I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. Flesh is born of flesh, but spirit is born of the Spirit. Do not be amazed that I said, ‘You must be born again.’The wind blows where it wishes. You hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.” “How can this be?” Nicodemus asked.

“You are Israel’s teacher, Jesus replied, “and do you not understand these things? Truly, truly, I tell you, we speak of what we know, and we testify to what we have seen, and yet you people do not accept our testimony.

If I have told you about earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you about heavenly things? No one has ascended into heaven except the One who descended from heaven — the Son of Man. Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, that everyone who believes in Him may have eternal life.

For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that everyone who believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through Him.

To some the cross remains a joke, a silly fable dredged up from the imagination. God knows what's "eating at man", and though man in himself would like to find it, like to wrap his hands around it, have it finally there beneath him grasped with secure and final grip upon its throat to squeeze the very being from it, and finally be free...this is entirely done by another. His being made willing to be all that troubles man, and be lifted up as that requires a sight no man can grasp at. He is Lord, and Savior. No one else. And He is nothing less.

No one is smart enough, nor has the intellectual capability to consume Jesus Christ. Eating is done according to need, not by buffet preference.

Last edited:

WaltL1

:bounce:

660griz

No one is smart enough, nor has the intellectual capability to consume Jesus Christ. Eating is done according to need, not by buffet preference.

I'll pass.

Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him.

Israel

BANNED
I'll pass.

Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him.

amen!

WaltL1

I'll pass.

I'll never forget how horrified I would be when receiving the sacrament wafer that I would get the dry heaves right in front of the priest. For whatever reason the taste of it was one of those things that my body just didn't want to swallow. I literally would be petrified every time.
Fond memories :bounce:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I can see how being forced into participating in ritualistic cannibalism could be discomfiting to a child, even besides the unleavened bread. :)

ambush80

I remember sometimes getting a little tiny square of hard tack. Looked like a hit of acid. Maybe it was.:biggrin2::p

ambush80

Tribalism is just selfism writ large.

And that ain't going away by self's impetus.

That separated self is grasping like a mad man for anything to keep it afloat. And that frenetic activity is purposed to its sinking.

Float.

Or not.

Jesus answered “Truly, truly, I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. Flesh is born of flesh, but spirit is born of the Spirit. Do not be amazed that I said, ‘You must be born again.’The wind blows where it wishes. You hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.” “How can this be?” Nicodemus asked.

“You are Israel’s teacher, Jesus replied, “and do you not understand these things? Truly, truly, I tell you, we speak of what we know, and we testify to what we have seen, and yet you people do not accept our testimony.

If I have told you about earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you about heavenly things? No one has ascended into heaven except the One who descended from heaven — the Son of Man. Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, that everyone who believes in Him may have eternal life.

For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that everyone who believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through Him.

To some the cross remains a joke, a silly fable dredged up from the imagination. God knows what's "eating at man", and though man in himself would like to find it, like to wrap his hands around it, have it finally there beneath him grasped with secure and final grip upon its throat to squeeze the very being from it, and finally be free...this is entirely done by another. His being made willing to be all that troubles man, and be lifted up as that requires a sight no man can grasp at. He is Lord, and Savior. No one else. And He is nothing less.

Any of this only matters if the god you believe in, not the one Welder or Ritchie or Gem believe in (since they're all quite different) is real. One could respond through the perspective of a Hindu or an indigenous person and it would be as meaningless to you as it would be to me. Your perspective is equally meaningless to them and me.