Macon First Baptist Church of Christ to allow same sex weddings

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)

centerpin fan

As an aside, what kind of demand can there be for gay weddings at a "small, dying congregation" in Macon? I would think that heterosexual marriage would be rare in such a place.

centerpin fan

“First Baptist in downtown Macon is a small, dying congregation. In a town that is predominately Southern Baptist. The conservative Southern Baptist congregations are thriving and two of those in the suburbs are of megachurch status.”

That's a microcosm of what's going on in the country. Churches that go down this road are committing suicide.

centerpin fan

Another piece of the puzzle falls into place:

I came to First Baptist in the fall of 2012 from Dallas, Texas, where I served as a pastoral resident at Wilshire Baptist Church. Before that I also served churches in Massachusetts and North Carolina. After graduating from Wake Forest University, I served for two years in the Mississippi Delta as an AmeriCorps volunteer at West Tallahatchie County Habitat for Humanity. I’ve also received my MDiv from Harvard Divinity School and completed a unit of CPE at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, MA.

http://www.fbcxmacon.org/staff/

rjcruiser

First Baptist Church of Christ? What is it...a SB church or a Church of Christ church? Seems like it is neither in this case.

SemperFiDawg

First Baptist Church of Christ? What is it...a SB church or a Church of Christ church? Seems like it is neither in this case.

Not sure either. I did a little research on it, but didn't get very far due to time.

Spineyman

Not sure either. I did a little research on it, but didn't get very far due to time.

At this point it is irrelevant who they are or were. They have compromised the Word of God and it will not go well with them from here on out. You can not legalize sin, much less perversion and not be hammered by the True and Living God. Be not deceived, God is not mocked. For whatsoever a man sows, that shall he also reap. Jesus did not tell Mary Magdalene you are forgiven, you can continue to sin. He told her to go and sin no more. That does not mean she would be sin less but rather do not continue in the sin in which I have just forgiven you.

SGADawg

"Bonnie Chappel, chairperson of the deacons refused to say how she voted..."

Apparently the gay marriage decision isn't the first time they strayed from scripture.

Spineyman

Apparently the gay marriage decision isn't the first time they strayed from scripture.

1 Timothy 3:1-3
Qualifications of Overseers

3 This is a faithful saying: If a man desires the position of a bishop,( overseer or deacon ) he desires a good work. 2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, temperate, sober-minded, of good behavior, hospitable, able to teach; 3 not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money, but gentle, not quarrelsome, not covetous;

rjcruiser

The slope to liberalism isn't a steep one. Usually is done over many years one step down at a time.

SemperFiDawg

Yep. It’s often a gradual, almost imperceptible erosion. What’s the old saying about sin? Takes you further than you ever meant to go. Keeps you longer than you ever meant to stay. Costs you more than you ever meant to lose.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
No wonder it's dying. Thank God it's dying. Thank God for those who are driven enough to leave it.
Another church that needs to be left to God's will.