Thompson contender g1 suppressed

scott stokes

Just purchased my first t/c .44mag 14" barrel.i thinking of getting another pistol length barrel for hunting suppressed.I should have my stamp January for my 30cal can.so I was thinking of something that I could use it on.
I also reload.MY first thought was another .44mag barrel and new suppressor but the wait will kill me.any suggestions thanks scott

deast1988

Contender can't handle pressure. Maybe a custom shop, 6.8spc barrel threaded. Or 30/30 barrel threaded.

Or a Encore in anything .30 cal, I saw a 6.5 Grendel pistol getting 2400fps that speed should make for a nice Suppressed round in a Encore.

I just got my stamps this past spring, caliber specfic cans work the best. .30cal can a .26cal bullet works but that .04 allows extra gas which in turns more noise.

Shorter the barrel less powder burn off harder on internals of the can. Some cans are rated to certain barrel minimums. Check out your can specs before you pick exact barrel size to order.

I've seen some custom Encore SBRs, like 14in barrel Suppressed .44 mag with a hybrid can for night hog hunting. Cool concept but the guns are highly specialized.

If u reload that opens a bigger versatility to you as well. I've seen .308win loaded with heavy bullets to lower impact velocity, some premium ammo has different impact thresholds. Able to expand as low as 900fps, you can custom make mid range velocity loads that expand. Then u get very low noise out of the can and very good results on big game.

6.8spc, is optimized for carbine length barrels. My 15in pistol in spc shoots lights out very minimal recoil. I think it's 2500fps with 110gr bullets. But it being .27 caliber should allow you to load up say 140gr swift Aframes that a .270 deer rifle would shoot. An should be a nice on the ears Suppressed deer load.

I've read, Norma Oryx, Swift Aframe, Nosler Accubonds all have lower thresholds for expansion with slower speed.

The fast light bullets, are hard to suppress. You are trying to hide the sonic boom (Crack) of the gun. Just a pile of options to consider when goin for a Suppressed round.

pacecars

Why not the original for the T/C? .300 Whisper (AKA .300 Blackout)

pacecars

SSK, Bullberry, Eabco or Match Grade Machine

pacecars

Not sure about all of them but MGM quoted 4 weeks on a .338 Federal pistol barrel I ordered and it has been 3 weeks and it is on the way already. :)

pacecars

Call SSK. A lot of times JD has barrels in stock. He likes to make some up to try out and usually makes a couple extra

scott stokes

Thanks everyone.
Kanook I seen that one.i am looking for a 12"-14" blued barrel shooting as a pistol.i will call around tomorrow

james243

Here is what I have done: Shipped Douglas 1:10 44 cal barrel to MGM. Had two 12" barrels made from the blank, threaded for silencerco octane 45 suppressor.

Both of the barrels are on SBRs and have put down a pile of animals in the past couple years. A 300 grain nosler jhp expands well, but doesn't stop in deer. If I could do it again I would go a little shorter on the barrel. A guy that builds integral suppressors on the Ruger bolt 44s uses an 8 inch barrel.

For a suppressed contender 44 mag is awesome. Even 265 gr WFN cast bullets kill deer from almost any angle at subsonic speed. There is no way that a subsonic smaller caliber lighter weight bullet will kill better than common heavy 44s will, whether meant to expand or not.

Rather than some .30 caliber round that needs fancy bullets to perform at subsonic velocities, in a contender just go for 38spl/357 mag and use a Remington 180 grain semi-jacketed hollow point that is cheap and made to work at these speeds. It would suppress even better than a 44. I would rather have a 38 special contender than a.300 due to cost of components, ease of reloading, and equal or better performance, if we are talking subsonic .

Kanook

Well dang, if you are willing to go with a different silencer, go with the Liberty Mystic X and get a Contender barrel in .357 Maximum. That will allow "subs, supers, and super dupers".

I've been saving to get my Mystic the upgrade and then I will thread my Maxi barrel. Good times are coming:banana:

rosewood

Do you plan on shooting subsonic? If so, a 30 caliber is really too little energy to be effective IHMO. You are virtually shooting them with a 45 ACP with a smaller meplat if it is subsonic. As James said, a supressed 44 mag subsonic with a 300 grain would be a better choice.

If you are suppressing and still shooting supersonic, a 30-30 barrel would fit the bill with your existing .30 caliber suppressor on the Contender. The 30-30 barrels are pretty common, you just need to thread it.

Now, a 30-30 or a 300 BO hand loaded could get you in subsonic range with a .30 suppressor on the contender. But I wouldn't use on deer myself.

Rosewood

scott stokes

Talked to the guy that built my suppressor Saturday at a gun show and I am going to have him make a suppressor for .44mag:
My paper work came back Friday so I pick my suppressor up tomorrow yea 5 months.i think I am going to build a ar15 6.5 grendel or .300blackout

Last edited: