Big7

The Oracle
At that cost, how many do you need?
I'll make as many as you want.

I got it you are passing on info.

That is waaayyyy to much.

Just sayin'.

fishtail

Well how about sharing where the info is.

gt40
There were many handbooks, data, forums and sites I went through and finally arrived at what is a probable good expanding bullet load that fits my preferences.

Even though it means adding one more powder type on the shelf, one usual load kept coming up.

50.0gr of IMR-4895 with a 150gr flat base spitzer.

In case you haven't seen this link. http://web.archive.org/web/20000620055732/home.att.net/~Masterpo/M1load.htm

fishtail

And I can't really complain about the 80 cents a round including the clips.
A couple of years ago 30-06 brass was going for a dollar a piece. That is "if" you could find it.
It was actually cheaper to buy the hunting ammunition.

WayneB

It's actually easier to find .308 Garand than the 30-06.
My Garand has sentimental value as it was my Dad's issue weapon that he was somehow able to keep until retirement from the USMC.
The foreign manufactured stuff tends to run higher pressure IMO than the Remington.
I want to shoot it, not break it. :/

JeffinPTC

Hornady 9th

Hornady manuals have a Garand tab. Lyman says to reduce loads by 1 to 2 grains, use 150-168 gr bullets and use Imr 4895, or 4064.
I just made Garand with 43gr IMR4895 and 168 Nosler Custom Comp 3.30," the min and most accurate load from the Lyman 49th.
YMMV

godogs57

My go-to load for my Garand is a Sierra 168 match behind 47 grains of 4064, Federal brass, 210M primers. This load has performed flawlessly in each Garand I've owned. I looked for years for one in the serial number range of what my dad carried in the Battle of The Bulge, and finally found a correct Springfield Armory safe queen made the same month (per s/n records) . I had Hook Boutin accurize it and she shoots consistent inch and a half, two inch groups at 100 with that load.

I take her deer hunting on each Veterans Day in honor of my dad, and she scores usually each time. Great rifle.

Latest posts