mallard duck preserve hunts in n ga

topdog

Has anyone on here been to one of these? I see south fork and wiley on line. I would like to take my 11 yr old to introduce him to duck hunting for a Christmas present. Any advice on these would be appreciated.

chase870

Possum Sox
Not so sure that's where to introduce a kid to duck hunting, as you will get plenty of shooting and the preserve birds are easy to kill. It might give him unrealistic ideas about the sport. That said take him and let him kill as many as he wants, I have killed a bunch of preserve birds and they take a load of steel like anything else

swampstalker24

I agree with chase... A preserve shoot will introduce him to killing not hunting. If thats the goal then go for it. If you want him to appreciate and respect nature and understand that hunting is much much more than just pulling a trigger, a canned hunt might not be the best starting place.

Long Cut

Went on a dove shoot at South Fork and the most birds shot by 1 person (out of 100) was 5.... never duck hunted with them nor do I ever care to.

Maybe their duck hunts are better but im over them personally

T-N-T

I'd spend the money on a hotel near a swampy WMA that allowed duck hunting and try for some Woodies.

I don't care one way or the other about the preserves. They are a business and that's fine. But I promise the satisfaction level will be higher if you do it a different way

across the river

Went on a dove shoot at South Fork and the most birds shot by 1 person (out of 100) was 5.... never duck hunted with them nor do I ever care to.

Maybe their duck hunts are better but im over them personally

That is because they don't buy and release tame doves.

jasper181

Not sure where you are located but Dorchester shooting preserve south of Savavannah is good, the ducks fly good and it's as close to wild birds that I've seen. You get 12 birds per blind, you get a guide and dog.

Has anyone on here been to one of these? I see south fork and wiley on line. I would like to take my 11 yr old to introduce him to duck hunting for a Christmas present. Any advice on these would be appreciated.

CaptPaul

I think this is a good way to get a youngster involved. Its just like fishing, if I could up the odds in my favor taking a kid fishing I always did. Get them hooked first then build the passion around it. Good luck!

jasper181

I respect your opinion but I've never understood this argument, if done responsibly there should be no impact on wildlife. Usually the guys that say this will not bat an eye at shooting released pheasant is Sodak. As far as live decoys a preserve has a complete different set of rules from season dates, limits and steel is not required.

Duckbuster82

I respect your opinion but I've never understood this argument, if done responsibly there should be no impact on wildlife. Usually the guys that say this will not bat an eye at shooting released pheasant is Sodak. As far as live decoys a preserve has a complete different set of rules from season dates, limits and steel is not required.

No impact on wildlife? Do you not think that they leave the farm they are released on or that wild birds come into the corn ponds? Do you not think that they will try and bread with others ducks or be bread by other ducks passing on bad genes? Do you not think that when they interact with these other birds that they pass on diseases? Look at all the hybrid ducks people post up and call farm ducks. Different season dates and rules great, you think that they only shoot release birds? If any other bird is shot other than releae birds that would be shooting over love decoys. I don’t care about pheasant or know anything about them and the impact of release birds on the population of wild pheasant.

jasper181

I can't speak for other places but at our plantation we don't allow any other ducks shot other than the green heads and being where I am it's the only ones you will see so it's not hard to guess. As far as birds getting lose, we have a good enough setup that the birds don't leave, we know how many are released, if there are any left at the end of the season they are killed. You also prove my point, you said you don't care about pheasant, so it's only important if it's important to you, good to know

No impact on wildlife? Do you not think that they leave the farm they are released on or that wild birds come into the corn ponds? Do you not think that they will try and bread with others ducks or be bread by other ducks passing on bad genes? Do you not think that when they interact with these other birds that they pass on diseases? Look at all the hybrid ducks people post up and call farm ducks. Different season dates and rules great, you think that they only shoot release birds? If any other bird is shot other than releae birds that would be shooting over love decoys. I don’t care about pheasant or know anything about them and the impact of release birds on the population of wild pheasant.

Duckbuster82

Whe. I say I don’t care about pheasant, it means I don’t hunt them, I don’t study them. But if the mallards you release are having a negative affect and I don’t care about pheasant, it does not make what you are doing right. Where is your preserve at, what is the name of it?

GSURugger

Tame migratory birds are a cancer to the sport. They spread disease to actual wild flocks. Please do not support this.

swampstalker24

IMO hunts like these just perpetuate the "everyone gets a trophy" and instant gratification themes that plauge our kids these days... Not saying there is anything wrong with it but just prolly not the best way to introduce a kid to the sport.

Long Cut

Look at how EHD, CWD really spread.. through penned deer. Not a biologist but if it could happen to deer it could happen to ducks