War Between the States trivia thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Me either right up until I cheated the answer.:)

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
This is one we did as a trivia by email within our SCV camp yesterday..............

The Ga resident nephew of a Confederate Brigadier was among those lost on the Titanic 100 years ago today.

Name the General and the nephew.

I know nobody will know this one so google away :type::type::type:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I am going to put up the only name of a Titanic fatility I know except Astor and that is Butt or Butts. I don't know his first name, but the 15th street bridge over the Augusta Canal is named for him. It is an unusual bridge with lions at each end. I have admired it since I was a kid.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I am going to put up the only name of a Titanic fatility I know except Astor and that is Butt or Butts. I don't know his first name, but the 15th street bridge over the Augusta Canal is named for him. It is an unusual bridge with lions at each end. I have admired it since I was a kid.

I will say you get a short stub of a cigar for that :bounce:............ However you did get part of the answer....... you are speaking of the nephew. Who is gonna google the uncle:D

Major Butt was a noteworthy soldier in his own right. He served in the Spanish-American War, the Philippines, and as chief military aide to two U.S. Presidents: Theodore Roosevelt and William Howard Taft. While in the Philippines he helped found the Military Order of the Carabao. Major Butt had been to Europe on a six week vacation prior to his date with destiny aboard the Titanic.

Resica

Brig. General William R. Boggs.

Brig. General Archibald Gracie III had a son on the Titanic. He survived but died before the year was out.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
And the remainder of the stogie goes to Gary. !!

Resica

On July 15th 1864, a train headed north carrying 833 Confederate prisoners and 125 Union guards collided with a coal train headed south in Shohola Twp.,Pike County Pennsylvania. At least 51 Confederates and 17 Federals were killed in the collision, including several from Georgia . From what prison did they come and what prison were they headed to?

RBM

You might find this article in today's paper of interest.

South's sacrifice honored

I appreciate the SCV for the cemetery service, remembrances, and memorials they do also to my own Confederate kin folk.

RBM

Since you stated Pennsylvania, I had to naturally think of New York by proximity and the only prison I could think of was Elmira (what some called "Hellmira"). But I could not guess if one of the prisons was Elmira or not, or if it was where the train started or its destination without cheating (looking up Elmira). So someone else can make the guess.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I'll tell you this, Elmira was the destination. The train had come from further south.

Just a guess, but with this clue I would say they came from the Old Capitol Prison near Washington DC.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
OK, I am going to guess Point Lookout again. If I keep giving that as an answer, sooner or later it has to be the right one.

Status
Not open for further replies.