Photon XT (night vision on a budget)

Buckhead

For years I have been wanting to try night vision, but the high cost has kept me away. Talking serious coin for the high end stuff. Anyway, stayed intrigued with the idea and recently stumbled across a good deal on a Photon XT. Watched a few youtube videos and decided to buy it.

I am impressed. It isn't Gen 3 military grade, but that wasn't my expectation. Turned out much better than I thought. 100 - 150 yd shots should not be a problem at all. Haven't hunted with it yet, but have played with it extensively behind my house.

There are a lot of things to like. Obviously, the cost. Also, it is like a conventional scope, so easy to mount. It is very lightweight compared to other night vision alternatives. Day/night functionality, multiple reticles and brightness settings. Video output for recording. Operates on AA batteries. 4.6X magnification gives it decent range.

A few drawbacks. Being digital, it is totally reliant on IR illumination. The built in illuminator is weak and limits range to 70 yds or so. It needs a good IR to achieve full range. It has a digital display, so you are not looking through the lenses to get an optical image. Still decent though. High battery drain, I use rechargeables. Narrow field of view up close.

All in all, well worth the money. Sightmark has discontinued the XT for the updated RT, so some deals are floating around. I also bought a Firefield Nightfall 2 Gen 1 monocular for glassing/scanning. It also works surprisingly well for the cost. In total, I have around $500 invested in the Photon, the IR and the monocular.

Over the next couple of weeks, planning to site it in and then hit the woods. We have a lot of coyotes on our deer lease, anxious to get out there. Will report back.

Attachments

• NV AR setup.jpg
    NV AR setup.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 280

transfixer

I've been eyeing one of those lately, will likely buy one just as soon as I free up some funds, when you say high battery drain, how long does a set of good AA's last ? I though I read or heard on youtube they would last 3 or 4 hours ?

Buckhead

3-4 hours sounds about right for conventional alkalines based on reviews I have read. The owners manual recommends high capacity rechargeable batteries as they will last longer in typical usage. That is all I have used as I have several sets for my digital cameras. Good rechargeables tend to last longer in high drain devices, however, they do discharge quicker over time. I always make sure they have been recently charged and carry a back up set. Felt compelled to mention it it could be an issue if you leave the scope powered up with the IR illuminator on.

Yotedawg

Good luck on your purchase. A coyote hunting facebook page I am a member of has a photon following. Some of the guys really like them, some don't. I have never used one but I do have the atn x sight II. I do like it but like you say about the photon, battery life sucks. I have the external battery pack for it. I don't know if the photon will accept an external battery pack but if it will that's the way to go. A better IR can be bought for a few bucks as well but honestly I would put the existing IR to the test in the field before buying one. Amazon does have some pretty cheap if you decide to go that route.

Buckhead

I bought a Streamlight Tac IR. Huge improvement over the built in IR. I was able to see my dog clearly out to 150 yds with the Streamlight IR. Her eyes were visible way beyond that.

As for range, 100 yds is a long way in the dark. My typical hunting sets are clear cuts, food plots, logging roads, and power lines, so the Photon will be fine. I have called in several coyotes in the daylight, but it is difficult. They are much more active at night, so looking forward to giving it a try.

Yotedawg

I bought a Streamlight Tac IR. Huge improvement over the built in IR. I was able to see my dog clearly out to 150 yds with the Streamlight IR. Her eyes were visible way beyond that.

As for range, 100 yds is a long way in the dark. My typical hunting sets are clear cuts, food plots, logging roads, and power lines, so the Photon will be fine. I have called in several coyotes in the daylight, but it is difficult. They are much more active at night, so looking forward to giving it a try.
Sounds like you are set then. Good luck piling the fur up.

drawedback

Get you a set of kentli rechargeable batteries. They are lithium, and have a built in voltage regulator, so they are putting out 1.5 volts until they are dead. Other batteries have a voltage drop when they start getting low. Kentlis will give you a longer run time :banana:

Buckhead

I have a couple dozen of the Powerex 2700 mAH. Been very happy with them in my cameras and in Foxpro. Never used Kentli, but may give them a try.