Cheek Riser and Sight Picture

Huntmaster2

Most of my rifles have a low comb that does not allow me a good sight picture without raising my head. I am thinking about trying a strap on cheek riser so that no holes have to be drilled in the stock.

Any suggestions on a good cheek riser/stock pack?

Also, how much difference will having proper sight picture and cheek weld make? Say for 300 yds and under.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I have one of the Triad Modular and like them. I like the option of storing rounds inside, the adjust ability of comb height, and the outside data window.

Klondike

It is important

Having an easy and relaxed sight picture should help you quite a bit.

I have messed with the slip / strap cheek pieces and while they help I believe if you really want to improve it either restock the firearm or buy and install a karsten cheek piece

Huntmaster2

I have one of the Triad Modular and like them. I like the option of storing rounds inside, the adjust ability of comb height, and the outside data window.

Thank you, the triad looks pretty neat especially being able to put shells inside. They are as light as some of the kydex risers too.

Is the modular part just for the accessory portion that allows for different cartridges?

Huntmaster2

Having an easy and relaxed sight picture should help you quite a bit.

I have messed with the slip / strap cheek pieces and while they help I believe if you really want to improve it either restock the firearm or buy and install a karsten cheek piece

I was kind of wondering about the slip style because I thought they may be less consistent than a bolted connection.

When you drill in a wood or synthetic stock do you have to worry about moisture seeping in?

Oldstick

Here's a cheap idea. I have one of the elastic cartridge bands around the stock of my scoped Winchester 94. Underneath the band are a couple strips cut from a rubber mouse pad where my cheek goes. Very comfortable and raises my eye just where it needs to be for the scope.

Huntmaster2

That's a good idea Oldstick, especially since I may want to raise the comb on all my rifles after testing this out.

wareagle700

I second the Triad stock pack. I've got several of them and they work great. The pouch is nice to store a bore snake, wrench, or extra rounds if you need it. You can build up the height under the pack as well to get it just right. I've got a cut mouse pad under one of mine.

jmoser

Here's a cheap idea. I have one of the elastic cartridge bands around the stock of my scoped Winchester 94. Underneath the band are a couple strips cut from a rubber mouse pad where my cheek goes. Very comfortable and raises my eye just where it needs to be for the scope.

I shoot with some very serious and accomplished 600-1000 yard competitors; a few of them use DIY solutions like this. Mouse pads are ideal; I like hockey stick tape to wrap the whole length of the pad onto the buttstock.

You can buy inexpensive neoprene sleeves that fit the stock with slip in foam inserts of varying thicknesses too.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Shot gunners use Moleskin (mouse pad with adhesive) to get a better cheek weld.

The modular one has hook and loop inside, outside and under where the spacers go. They have different options that just more or less stick on...and they ain't going to move...well if they do you will scare everything in the woods off :)

I like the shells inside option because they can't tink on a stand rail or get buggered up hitting everything. The data window is pretty big too and is somewhat weather resistant.

Huntmaster2

Shot gunners use Moleskin (mouse pad with adhesive) to get a better cheek weld.

The modular one has hook and loop inside, outside and under where the spacers go. They have different options that just more or less stick on...and they ain't going to move...well if they do you will scare everything in the woods off :)

I like the shells inside option because they can't tink on a stand rail or get buggered up hitting everything. The data window is pretty big too and is somewhat weather resistant.

That's a great point about not letting shells hit anything. Is the data window where you place a card with your data for shooting? Sorry just unfamiliar with the terms.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Is the data window where you place a card with your data for shooting?

yes sir, With your DOPE on it :)

I see you are in SW GA...that is kinda close to me. The rifle I use it on is out of service so it wouldn't be a real problem if you wanted to put your hands on mine before you ordered it.

Huntmaster2

yes sir, With your DOPE on it :)

I see you are in SW GA...that is kinda close to me. The rifle I use it on is out of service so it wouldn't be a real problem if you wanted to put your hands on mine before you ordered it.

I am at college right now instead of home in SW GA, but I appreciate the offer!

I think I'm going to convince my girlfriend to get me one for my birthday:D. If not, I will be ordering one shortly.

Hopefully I will come back with a brief review of it too.

GunnSmokeer

cheek weld

"cheek weld" with the stock is important for maximum accuracy.

On my National Match M1A, I put on a leather lace-up cheek pad on the stock, but I found that it would slip around and change position (within an inch) as I used it.

So I used a single small-diameter wood screw to secure it to the stock. Yeah, my stock now has a 1/8" hole in it on one side. No big deal. Totally worth it to make that cheek pad lock into place.

On another gun, a Savage 110 with a cheap black synthetic stock, I made my own cheek riser pad with a wadded-up shop towel inside a neatly-folded shop towel, all of which was then duct-taped together and to the stock with black duct tape. I like it. It only looks a little ugly, but gives me better accuracy AND SPEED, when I throw the rifle to my shoulder. Now my eye centers itself directly behind the rear lens of the scope more quickly and naturally.

Huntmaster2

"cheek weld" with the stock is important for maximum accuracy.

On another gun, a Savage 110 with a cheap black synthetic stock, I made my own cheek riser pad with a wadded-up shop towel inside a neatly-folded shop towel, all of which was then duct-taped together and to the stock with black duct tape. I like it. It only looks a little ugly, but gives me better accuracy AND SPEED, when I throw the rifle to my shoulder. Now my eye centers itself directly behind the rear lens of the scope more quickly and naturally.

The ability to throw up and have natural aim is great. I will mostly be using it on hunting rifles so being able to make a quick shot with more consistency is great and honestly something I had not thought about.

I was under the impression the benefit would be really seen at longer distances, but shotgunners make quick shots and adjust cheek weld to get consistency. Thanks!

godogs57

Here is what I use on my M1A...works great.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/M15017

image.jpg

Jester896

Senior Clown
I think between the 3 I use the most my Manners hands down is the most repeatable of the 3 because of the way it is made. The Karsten is my least repeatable. No matter how it is marked, to get it back in the same spot it always take a bit to get it back where it needs to be. The stock pack is pretty repeatable and take less to get it back when removed. It is necessary to remove them to clean or remove the bolt in most cases.

Huntmaster2

Yeah so you can keep all the strips, take the stock pack off and remove the bolt. Put everything back on and the height should be the same. That's a good consideration because I can't think of any way to get a bolted kydex riser back to the same spot, but maybe someone else has figured a way out?

Also, do the strips or mouse pads lose their height after a while? Just from being compressed.

Jester896

Senior Clown
the Triad strips are pretty tough. The rear strap is going to keep it centered front to back pretty good. The spacers do not fall out...they are hook and loop too. The problem will be the underneath strap tension. The difficulty.. if you want to call it that... is rotating it back to the same position basically...getting it synched back the same.. if you index it front and back you should be GTG.