Whopper Plopper issues

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
So I keep throwing the plopper pretty much exclusively in the 90 size. The thing GETS BIT. One Of My Best Producing Topwater lures other than a buzzbait or Rebel T-10. Problem Is Fish Keep Coming Unbuttoned. I've lost maybe 5 bass over 3lbs in just 2 days. Hooks are sharp so that isn't the issue. I'm throwing it on A Duckett Terex 7'6" MH Crankin rod and 30lb straight braid. Fighting the fish is fine, but I've had 4 out of 5 jump and spit the lure at the bank and one come off trying to flip him on the bank. What gives? They're fine until I get them in and then they jump and come off. I try to keep the rod tip down to keep them from jumping and some still come off at the bank. Also it spins in the water after a long cast until all the line is off the water but that is a lesser issue.

Kendallbearden

Big spider lover
So I keep throwing the plopper pretty much exclusively in the 90 size. The thing GETS BIT. One Of My Best Producing Topwater lures other than a buzzbait or Rebel T-10. Problem Is Fish Keep Coming Unbuttoned. I've lost maybe 5 bass over 3lbs in just 2 days. Hooks are sharp so that isn't the issue. I'm throwing it on A Duckett Terex 7'6" MH Crankin rod and 30lb straight braid. Fighting the fish is fine, but I've had 4 out of 5 jump and spit the lure at the bank and one come off trying to flip him on the bank. What gives? They're fine until I get them in and then they jump and come off. I try to keep the rod tip down to keep them from jumping and some still come off at the bank. Also it spins in the water after a long cast until all the line is off the water but that is a lesser issue.

Change the hooks to mustad triple grips and throw on a little heavier rod. Personally I use a 7'3" MH with a soft tip but a lot of backbone. It's hard to sink the hook on a long cast with a cranking rod. Whopper Plopper is one of my highest percentage "bite to boat" ratio baits with this setup. :cheers:

Also, if they're short striking and only getting the rear hook sometimes you can change colors or sizes and get them to commit to it a little better.

Darkhorse

I use to have the same issues when crankin with braid. Don't get me wrong, I love braid, I have it on all my salt water reels, all my worm or plastics baitcaster's, and all my freshwater spinning reels. But on my dedicated crankin rigs I run Stren clear/blue 12 pound monofilament.
Reason is, Braid has zero stretch, zero forgiveness. Even when spooled up on a crankin rod. I use a MH and a M, both are Shimano and both are crankin rods.
Whereas the Mono has stretch and will stretch before just yankin the hooks out like braid does. I also keep the lightest possible drag setting on both rigs.
The combo of crankin rods, mono line and light drags allows me to land almost 100% of fish hooked with trebles. If I need heavier drag I just turn it up a few clicks, when the fish gets back to clean water I turn it back down.
I keep all my hooks danger sharp. And I try to control the jumping by putting the rod tip underwater and pulling down when they come up to jump.
I set my hook with a long sweep instead of a sharp yank with all treble hooks.
And I maneuver the boat so the fish swims around it, I don't want it changing directions back and forth because that can make the hole the hook is in larger and easier to throw or come unhooked.
This works for me and it took a couple of years to get it worked out. I started out with 10 pound braid on the medium rod and 20 pound braid on the MH and I had lures popping out and flying everywhere. My percentage of getting one in the boat was way down. BTW I also change out my treble hooks to something like a EWG short shank treble. There a several out now that are designed for crankbaits and really help to hold a fish.

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
I never really liked braid. It's good for getting your stuff back you get hung but i never liked fishing with it. I'm using it now on A cranking stick I use for topwaters like the plopper, buzzbaits and walking baits. I prefer fluorocarbon or copolymer lines for actually fishing crankbaits or any reaction style baits

i_fish

I agree with Kendallbearden, Mustad Triple Grip hooks make a BIG difference in hook to catch ratio.

I've been using them for 15 years, even go so far as to change out hooks on new lures to TG's.

I won't use anything else. I do see several other manufacturers making a copy of the TG that would probably work but I just haven't found the need to try 'em.

i_fish

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
Lost another big one this morning. Going to modify the lure and change the tackle i throw it on too see if it makes a difference

Tmpr111

I use 20lb braid tied straight to the WP, and on a MH rod with a fast tip. Anything much stiffer and it’ll yank em right out. My biggest problem with the WP is always letting the fish eat it good first - it’s such a fun bait.

GA BASS ODYSSEY

Hooks aren't the problem and you are using a good rod for this application. Use a heavy monofilament leader like 12 lb. The straight braid will not work good with big head shakin' bass. Make the leader as long as you can get away with. Do not use fluorocarbon as it has little stretch and it sinks making your bait run improper. The mono can stretch and acts like a spring keeping the hooks pinned. Keep turning the bass especially when you feel him coming up. Don't let him jump if possible. Any slack line and he will be gone. A big bass can knock slack in straight braided line in a second no matter what the rest of your set-up is.

Last edited:

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
Hooks aren't the problem and you are using a good rod for this application. Use a heavy monofilament leader like 12 lb. The straight braid will not work good with big head shakin' bass. Make the leader as long as you can get away with. Do not use fluorocarbon as it has little stretch and it sinks making your bait run improper. The mono can stretch and acts like a spring keeping the hooks pinned. Keep turning the bass especially when you feel him coming up. Don't let him jump if possible. Any slack line and he will be gone. A big bass can knock slack in straight braided line in a second no matter what the rest of your set-up is.
Think you hit it on the head there! I removed all the braid, respooled with 15lb mono, and modified the bait a little and I've been able to keep all but one pinned pretty good! The other thing has been the hookset and timing. You'd think that something with two trebles you could just start reeling into the fish or set the hook after the initial strike. You actually have to give them a second or two to pull it underwater before giving them a sweeping hook set to the side like you would with a crankbait. Then its all just keeping their Head down.

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
Plopper fish

Here's some that I modified a little. They work pretty well now after doing that and changing the gear/technique

Attachments

• 77e7ea31-512c-45e9-99e3-f27ef64afaea.jpg
    77e7ea31-512c-45e9-99e3-f27ef64afaea.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 8d2bedd3-e90f-4f93-ad12-b84a707dcaf0.jpg
    8d2bedd3-e90f-4f93-ad12-b84a707dcaf0.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 85

GeorgiaPineHunter

Add a second split ring to the middle hook and they can't rotate the hooks out. The lure won't pin up against the body of the fish. I do it with most of my walking baits

pop pop jones

Sounds like your giving them just enough slack in the line to shake it out. keep the line tight till the fish is in your hand

JakkBauer

You need to use a leader if you are going to use braid. You simply dont have enough give for those trebel hooks and that is why you are coming unbuttoned. Also consider a rod that is a little more forgiving in action as this will help you to land the fish instead of lose it.