Red lights for night time pigs - Question

Curtis

So all of my pig hunting has been during daylight hours. Thinking of trying some evening action this weekend. What is the collective experience with using red lights for night time hunting. Have seen mention of using it but looking for any thoughts. Thinking of doing a slow stalk up to a couple of bait sites using a red headlamp or other "night lights."

thanks.

Todd E

Green.

Play the wind. Be there bout 430pm. Stay on up into the night. Best to pattern them on bait with a cam.

paul1956

Sir I have done quite a bit of research Green LED lights are best-check out Wicked Lights they are not cheap but very high quality. I have used them at nite! By the way if you have never done nite hunting you are in for a surprise

Curtis

All previous night hunting was indoors. This will probably be cheaper and less likely to result in a hangover.

Seriously though, thanks for the tip regarding the green light rather than the red light. Will see if i can get a lens cover or an inexpensive green light to see how it does.

Last edited:

jbriley

light

Green.

Play the wind. Be there bout 430pm. Stay on up into the night. Best to pattern them on bait with a cam.

I agree. I run three cams, and check them weekly. I try to keep a corn and Kool-Aid mix, about 18 to 24 inches in ground with post hold diggers. I have a pro-tech, green light mounted on my rifle and it will light up the area very good.
my normal kill zone where i set up is roughly 50 to 75 yds from my stand.

Kanook

Sir I have done quite a bit of research Green LED lights are best-check out Wicked Lights they are not cheap but very high quality. I have used them at nite! By the way if you have never done nite hunting you are in for a surprise
My wife and I are using Wicked also. I really like that it can be dimmed so not to spook the piggies.

Agreed that they are pricey, but well worth the price. My brother in-law has gone thru 2 cheaper $50 lights and says that ours are to expensive. He could've bought the wicked and been done.

https://www.wickedhuntinglights.com/a48-ambush-kits

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Back in the day when I was younger, we went night hunting under a full moon. No lights at all. The only light we would shine would be the muzzle blast of 00 buck coming out the end of the muzzle:banana:

Walking the edge of Orange groves in FL was amazing.......you could see 100 yards down each row under a good moonlit sky. good times!!

Snookpimpin

we would always just sit in lawn chairs on the edge of our food plot in a natural grass blind and wait for the piggies to come in then one person would light up the field double fisting spot lights and the rest of us would start unloading 00 till everything was gone. was always had a ton of fun it would get a lil sketchy when you got 20 pigs 10-30 yards making all kinds of noise right in front of you in pitch black night

Barebowyer

I like my wicked lights and have no problem using the red. I do think you can see a lot better with the green but I also like to bust the yotes when one comes by so I stick with the red myself. Whatever works for ya...I can see plenty fine with the red at any range I actually want to be shooting at night.

kedo

green for hogs.

Curtis

So no luck. Pig sign all over but not a one came to the bait. Did have a fox and a bobcat come in. Fun to see that in the dark and to light em up. Walked over 25k steps on Saturday(fit bit) no sheds and no pigs. Several big does and one buck still with antlers. Will try again in a couple of weeks. Did have a midnight drive by of some folks shunning our field and neighbors fields with green lights.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
So no luck. Pig sign all over but not a one came to the bait. Did have a fox and a bobcat come in. Fun to see that in the dark and to light em up. Walked over 25k steps on Saturday(fit bit) no sheds and no pigs. Several big does and one buck still with antlers. Will try again in a couple of weeks. Did have a midnight drive by of some folks shunning our field and neighbors fields with green lights.

Sounds like a fun night ..........other than seeing what probably goes on all the time while you guys are not there:mad:

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly

j_seph

Why green over red for hogs? Only time I did it was with a red light and it worked just fine.

transfixer

I think green just lights up the area better, supposedly without spooking them, I've got a couple of the green lights, but haven't used them on hogs yet.