Got a percussion rifle!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've got an old hawken style 50 cal I've had for years, killed a few deer with it, most of the guys I hunt with have all got modern in-line muzzleloaders now, I'm still hunting with the old fashioned one, leather possibles bag and steer horn powder flask, ( always like Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett when I was a kid ):) I'm still using real black powder, even though I understand pyrodex is more efficient, I kinda like sticking to the old ways !

I don't think you'll regret picking that throwback up, enjoy !

Actually, I have found real black powder to be much, much more efficient than Pyrodex. There is no comparison. I think almost everyone who has shot both would agree with me. Pyrodex won't even go off in a flintlock most of the time.

transfixer

Actually, I have found real black powder to be much, much more efficient than Pyrodex. There is no comparison. I think almost everyone who has shot both would agree with me. Pyrodex won't even go off in a flintlock most of the time.

I have to admit I've never tried Pyrodex, or any of the others, never wanted to, just going on what I've heard or been told by others, but you know how that goes,,, 2f and 3f blackpowder is hard to find sometimes, I've got a small sheriff's model 36cal cap and ball I like to shoot every now and then, I just always figured if I was going to shoot a traditional firearm, I should use what it was meant to use !

snuffy

I have to admit I've never tried Pyrodex, or any of the others, never wanted to, just going on what I've heard or been told by others, but you know how that goes,,, 2f and 3f blackpowder is hard to find sometimes, I've got a small sheriff's model 36cal cap and ball I like to shoot every now and then, I just always figured if I was going to shoot a traditional firearm, I should use what it was meant to use !

I agree with NCHILLBILLY 100%

But if you want to try Pyrodex of several of the other substitutes I will be happy to give you some. I will never us it as long as I can get the real stuff.

Bkeepr

I've got a CVA Wolf youth model. I just bought the breech plug for it so I can use Blackhorn 209 or Black MZ. I have both of those so I can decide which works best for me.

I am using black powder for my Traditions percussion rifle.

Bkeepr

I have 2f and 3f powder.