Best 22 for a youth (8 yr old)

Mark R

ruger American compact . when he gets bigger he can use the longer stock . good gun last forever . uses 10/22 clips too

Melvin4730

I bought my kids a savage rascal. It’s a well made little gun. Single shot bolt action. I bought a cricket scope and put it on for them. I bough two, a black one and a pink one. I got a good deal, paying $79 a piece including a rebate at dicks.

Attachments

• FA886401-5326-4570-8FA4-509161F72E35.jpg
    FA886401-5326-4570-8FA4-509161F72E35.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 324

ryan_beasley

I just bought my kid a Marlin XT .22 Youth for Christmas. He's only 4 (but understands the objective of iron sights and a scope and does very well with both for his age), and a smaller framed kid so I went with the shortest length of pull I could find. Also, I will be right beside him on every shot, so the bolt action saves me a little time instead of the single shot route. I am impressed with the craftsmanship of the rifle so far and can't wait for him to send a few bullets down range.

state159

I just bought my kid a Marlin XT .22 Youth for Christmas. He's only 4 (but understands the objective of iron sights and a scope and does very well with both for his age), and a smaller framed kid so I went with the shortest length of pull I could find. Also, I will be right beside him on every shot, so the bolt action saves me a little time instead of the single shot route. I am impressed with the craftsmanship of the rifle so far and can't wait for him to send a few bullets down range.

That sounds like a fine Christmas morning in the Beasley house. I bet he will use that rifle his whole life and love it. Merry Christmas Ryan and family.

Ronny Staten

donald-f

My grandson started with a single shot. I may be wrong but I think it is a chipmunk and came with 2 barrels, a 22 cal and a 20 guage shotgun. They are easy to change from one to the other.

ryan_beasley

Update

Well Christmas is over, and I also got a Pursuit 3x9 scope to put on the youth Marlin XT .22. My kid LOVES it. We've already ran through roughly 200 rounds with it in the past 3 days. The length of pull is still a touch long for him as was expected, but he will grow into it soon enough. It is very accurate with me shooting it, and zero mechanical or finish issues. Marlin also included a plastic magazine clip that fills up the magazine area with a bullet impression in top that allows it to operate as a single shot that you load from the top if you so desire.

My only complaint- The magazine is well made with a good spring and metal instead of cheap plastic, however it is the lowest thing on the gun which is uncomfortable in his side/back with a sling. It doesn't effect an older kid, but it catches him awkward in the back of the ribs.

I was a little hesitant on spending more than I had to for his first .22, but I think this gun will grow with him better down the road, and also be more "Dad" friendly as he ages and matures with his firearm skills.

Overall- I'd buy it again in a second! Good luck and I'm sure your kids will like whatever you choose!

Melvin4730

The savage rascals ended up being a hit. They can shoot them comfortably by themselves. I ended up putting a scope on them, to make shooting squirrels/rabbits a little easier for them.

The savage rascal would make a great coon hunting and/ or trapping gun for an adult.

Attachments

• DFC57E65-D013-4B09-9470-349311AC7E08.jpg
    DFC57E65-D013-4B09-9470-349311AC7E08.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 43

SkintRider

savages version of cricket...my boys have one o love to shoot it. bolt action, feed ramp and accu trigger. great gun i think its called the rascal.

I like the Rascal more because it cocks on opening instead of smaller, weaker fingers not having to pull a manual cocking bolt/hammer. Bought it at a super price at a gun show in blue and had a body shop friend paint it a beautiful pink with my granddaughters name in black with a hard clearcoat. It was her first Christmas present from Pop'S. She is five now and it's time for her to learn to pop a cap.
Two year old brother has his first in the safe at Mom and Daddy's house. He is a pistol now, and a little stubborn so he's gonna have to wait another year or two.:biggrin3:

Melvin4730

My 8 year old, as of yesterday, shooting her new rifle. She did great, hitting a can consistently at 40 yards.

Attachments

• 39D732FF-2D86-44D4-A4B4-FAA42A3B0CB8_zps0ziluvco.jpg
    39D732FF-2D86-44D4-A4B4-FAA42A3B0CB8_zps0ziluvco.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 30

Hillbilly stalker

^^^ Man that's priceless ! Gotta take her out now and break in that new vest. Careful, she might end up with that new pretty pup you have.