Need some reccomendstions for a holster for a 1911

Robert28

I recently picked up a Springfield mil-spec stainless 1911 (full size) and needed some guidance about a holster. I am pretty sure I want a leather holster but didn’t know where to start to find what I wanted, being is this is my first 1911 I’ve owned. I also wasn’t sure if I should look into custom made leather holsters or if there was certain ones ready made that you might recommend. Main reason I want leather is I don’t want to scratch the gun and not really a fan of kydex holsters rubbing you to death.

ryanh487

Check out taguagunleather.com. When searching for the holster size you'll want to select "colt" even though it's a Springfield, as all 1911s without a rail are the same fit anyway.

Dub

Milt Sparks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Either the Criterion or their Versa Max II.

Thank me later.

Capt Quirk

1911.gif

Reactions: Dub

mrfudd

El Paso Saddlery makes great holsters. I like the tanker shoulder holster and the 1927 for 1911s. Bullets.com has good discounts on the El Paso line.

jmoser

Many many many brands to fit your budget. You did not specify so I will assume OWB for a 5" 1911.

I like snaps on the belt loops so you can easily remove the holstered gun without taking your belt off [same with IWB.]

You need to decide if you want a thumb break or open top, also if you want full length slide coverage or a less bulky design which leaves the muzzle and front sight sticking out the bottom.

For good quality, wide design variety, color selection etc. look at Galco's web catalog. They offer very good products at reasonable prices; you can usually find discounts at various online retailers. At least get ideas of what style you want.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Most of the time mine rides in TT Gunleather that snap over the belt as descried above. Very comfortable

I also use a Tagua that slides over the belt. It rides a little higer than the TT but with the same cant. And a Tagua IWB that I have never used.

tell sackett

I know you specified leather, but after reading several holster threads on here I bought an Alien Gear and I've been very satisfied with it.

rosewood

Galco and DeSantis make nice leather holsters.

rosewood

I know you specified leather, but after reading several holster threads on here I bought an Alien Gear and I've been very satisfied with it.

I have an Alien Gear for my Shield and like it a lot. It is also significantly cheaper than the other brands of tuckable holsters, not to mention they will give you another shell if you change guns for free.