17wsm

GunnSmokeer

A friend had a Ruger 77/22 in .22lr with a laminated stock.
It was a real rack driver.
A gunsmith had to give it a trigger job, though.
The factory setting was way too stiff.

Big7

The Oracle
I don't see a real "need" for any .17.
(except a pellet gun)

I have a 77/22 in .22 LR and .22 WMR.

Fine rifles albeit expensive.

You can do your own trigger.

YouTube is full of them.

Doesn't bother me one bit. I cut my teeth on a Mosin-Nagant.

rosewood

I have a Savage in .17HMR. Love it, far more accurate than any 22mags I have shot. When I first got it, the rounds were more expensive that 22mags, but now they run about the same and maybe a tad bit cheaper. Even the WSM is faster, I wouldn't go with it because the ammo isn't all that common. .17HMR can be found about anywhere now. The savage has a good trigger to me and is just fun to shoot. I like to set eggs up at 100 yards and bust them (almost 100% 1 shot kills). You can hit them at 200 yards, but not quite as consistent as at 100. I have a BSA Sweet 17 scope on it and the bullet drop turret is dead on. I know it is a cheap scope, but it works quite well on the .17.

Rosewood

Jester896

Senior Clown
I had a one of the Savage heavy barrel models in 17HMR and it shot real good for me. I have since traded it for a better shooting Marlin heavy barrel thumb hole that shoots a little better. My buddy has the Savage Tactical, whatever the model is, and I think mine shoots a little better.

I can't remember if this was a 50 or 100 yard target where I walked it up. The round up high, there was an ant biting my ankle and I let it get away from me. Basically 2 5 shot groups...one walking it up below then the 4 tight and the high shot.

They both seemed to shoot better with the Remington round with the gold tip.

I wouldn't mind trying a 17 WSM

Attachments

• _17HMR.JPG
    _17HMR.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 170

rosewood

Hmm, never thought about using a Silver dollar for scale, most folks use quarters or dimes. :)

BriarPatch99

I think tomcat is talking about the .17 Winchester Super Magnum ... .17 WSM...

I'd like to shoot one in a quality rifle ... The junk Savage that I shot was just that ....

rosewood

LOL...wish I could find that Mercury Dime

Dangit u are right, I am an idiot, at first glance I thought that was a Morgan Doh.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I think tomcat is talking about the .17 Winchester Super Magnum ... .17 WSM...

I'd like to shoot one in a quality rifle ... The junk Savage that I shot was just that ....

Correct...like you... I would like to try a quality one... it kind of went a little of track. The closest comparison would be the .17 HMR. It does take the wind way better than the HMR. I vaguely remember playing with a .17 Rem once.

Dangit u are right, I am an idiot, at first glance I thought that was a Morgan Doh.

haha..and all along I'm thinking it was just a good dig and you knew...huckleberrys out there ya know

BriarPatch99

Since we are off track ... I have shot a quality .17 Hornet ...

That was a sweet shooting round ...

That Savage B25 ( in .17WSM)was probably the closest thing to a "RG" that I've seen ...

rosewood

My savage has a nice wood stock and a heavy barrel. The trigger is nice to. I am guessing you handled one of the sporter barrel tupperware ones.

Rosewood

Buckhead

I have a skinny barrel Bmag in .17 WSM. It is the lowest quality firearm I have ever owned. Groups like a shotgun, honestly, 3-4” groups at 100 yds. Terrible for a varmint - small game round.

Spent a lot of time trying to get it to shoot. Tried bedding the action and barrel, various torgue settings, finally gave up.

The WSM is a good round though. Bought a MGM carbine barrel for my Contender that is very accurate. I have heard the newer heavy barrel Bmags are better, but I have no appetite to try one.

tree cutter 08

I've got every model of the 77/ ruger line except the wsm. Don't think you'll go wrong with one. I own a savage in 22lr and it shoots good but is cheap made junk.

Last edited:

BriarPatch99

I have a skinny barrel Bmag in .17 WSM. It is the lowest quality firearm I have ever owned. Groups like a shotgun, honestly, 3-4” groups at 100 yds. Terrible for a varmint - small game round.

Spent a lot of time trying to get it to shoot. Tried bedding the action and barrel, various torgue settings, finally gave up.

This is the same type gun I shot ... Same results too. ...

Tupperware is a lot better than this junk ... This is more like dollar store cat food bag plastic...

I shot a full box of the ammo ... which was worth more than I would have give for the whole rifle ... Couldn't keep it on a piece of typing paper at 100 yards ...