Deer hunting with 223 Remington

bighonkinjeep

I am sure he can, but these kinds of threads often degenerate into caliber wars and that is not what I am looking for. I don't find 223 Remington necessarily ideal for deer but developed a detached retina recently and am a little shy of using my 308. So I may try to 223 this season instead. I thought about getting a 243 win, but don't really want to buy a new rifle and have a new caliber to keep up with. If I can get decent performance from 223, that is what I intend to do.

Not trying to derail your thread but another option may be H4895 and download your .308. It can be loaded down up to to 60% of a max charge. Hodgdon has some great youth load data online. Recoil is less than a .243. I have had very good luck loading 125gr ballistic tips and 130gr TTSX (estimated 2400fps) for the grandkids, nieces and nephews. When 8 year olds go through 50 rounds a piece of .308 and ask for more you know you've got a winner and I have gotten to where I like to shoot em a lot myself. Way less recoil, noise and muzzle blast with plenty of giddy up for deer. Here's a link http://www.wwpowder.com/PDF/Youth Loads.pdf
More than one way to skin a cat.

deast1988

I wanted to kill a deer with a .223. Was I nervous a bit but research showed me shot placement an bullet design was the main factors for .223vs whitetail. I went with Remington HogHammers in 62gr TSX I think I'd have to doublecheck haven't shot them in a while. They sighted in less then 1in out of Colt. I'm now 2 for 2 both shots less then 100yds both broadside both performed flawlessly. Entrance an exit niether went more then 40yds.

My buddy went with Fusions 64gr I think. I know they Fusions we went stalking around his farm 240yds across a wheat field complete pass through down in 30yds. .223 will kill the fire out of them

Klondike

Not trying to derail your thread but another option may be H4895 and download your .308. It can be loaded down up to to 60% of a max charge. Hodgdon has some great youth load data online. Recoil is less than a .243. I have had very good luck loading 125gr ballistic tips and 130gr TTSX (estimated 2400fps) for the grandkids, nieces and nephews. When 8 year olds go through 50 rounds a piece of .308 and ask for more you know you've got a winner and I have gotten to where I like to shoot em a lot myself. Way less recoil, noise and muzzle blast with plenty of giddy up for deer. Here's a link http://www.wwpowder.com/PDF/Youth Loads.pdf
More than one way to skin a cat.

So I will second this comment. I load a 9lb rifle in 308 for my son with 47gr of IMR4064 and 125 gr accubonds and that exits just shy of 3000 fps and drops them like a rock. Recoil is minimal. If you want to use an AR platform I really think the 300 blackout with 125 gr SSTs, Nosler green tips, or Barnes 110 Gr is really ideal under 150 yards. Will double punch, expand, and make a .30 caliber hole. At 2300-2400 fps it will dump almost all of its energy into the animal. Not picking on the .223 but i think that is a far better deer killer and you can run your AR15. Have uppers from .223 to 458 Socom and I would use the 300 black or more for deer in the SE

one hogman

The Barnes bullets are long for their weight, so they need a faster twist than lead core bullets of the same weight. On the other hand; my Zastava mini mauser has a 1:12 barrel and it shoots the Barnes 53gr Vor-Tx just fine. It's plenty of bullet of deer and hogs.

fq1449m.jpg

That's a PURTY rifle:bounce:

Larry Rooks

Barnes TSX 55 gr My Grandson uses them in his 223 and is 3 for 3. Complete penetration in all 3 and good blood trail, easy to follow