Southern Outdoors Authors

LowCountryDuck

Anyone recommend any books by Authors who write about the outdoors? Looking for books similar to Havilah Babcocks books or Aldo Leopold. Thanks.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
outdoor writer

Robert Ruark was very good,I can recommend him.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
On the Wild Edge, In Search of a Natural Life, by David Peterson. Anything else by this author is good too.

Spring Creek Chronicles I and II by Leo Lovell.

Camping and Woodcraft, by Nessmuk.

Illumination in the Flatwoods, by Joe Hutto.

Deep Enough For Ivorybills, by James Kilgo.

Gary Mercer

Hard to find anything better than Dr. Babcock's books.
MY HEALTH IS BETTER IN NOVEMBER Is one of his best, as is, I DON'T WANT TO SHOOT AN ELEPHANT, and come to think of it, JAYBIRDS GO TO "heck" ON FRIDAY.
If your looking for some great hunting and Low Country yarns, try looking up Archibald Rutledge. He was also an avid outdoorsman, in the South Carolina Low Country.
He wrote a weekly column for the Charleston News & Courier Paper.
Both these men were regular visitors at our farm near Jedburg, SC. They put their muddy boots in the garage, and sat around Mom's table many a Saturday nite in the late 50s and 60s.
Both were kind gents who took a young kid, who wanted to learn, under their wings.
I wish I was smart enough to write a book about our conversations and the hunts and fishing trips I enjoyed with these gentlemen. Not to mention the life's lessons that were imparted to me in those days.
Good luck with you reading.
Gary

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Patrick F. McManus, for comedy.

StateOfBaker

Wendell Berry: The Long-legged House
Donald Davidson: The Tennessee vols. 1&2

Spring Creek Chronicles I and II by Leo Lovell.

Illumination in the Flatwoods, by Joe Hutto.

Deep Enough For Ivorybills, by James Kilgo.
Also, these, for sure.