Alert! Gill lice on the soque

Jimmy Harris

A lot of us fish the Soque River so we wanted everyone to be aware that gill lice have been found in some fish there. Research is just now beginning to determine how widespread it is but we need to all assume we could be contributing to its spread if we're not diligent about cleaning our gear after we fish there. It's not very well understood how to prevent anglers from spreading it but, for now, we are requiring all our guides and guests to wash their boots and waders in a 10% Clorox solution after a trip. With the summers we've been having and the subsequent stress on the trout, gill lice could be devastating. Plus, we don't want to be careless and see it spread to other streams in the area. Please be responsible and help us protect our resources.

Thank you,
Jimmy Harris
Unicoi Outfitters

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The anglers aren't the problem. The bringing in and stocking fish and raising them like livestock by private interests is the problem, IMO. I don't think they got there on someone's waders. They got there in a load of pellethead doughbellies. And now can spread to the surrounding waters.

Jimmy Harris

The anglers aren't the problem. The bringing in and stocking fish and raising them like livestock by private interests is the problem, IMO. I don't think they got there on someone's waders. They got there in a load of pellethead doughbellies. And now can spread to the surrounding waters.

I don't disagree with you at all. However, recognizing that the biologists don't have much concrete evidence on how the lice get from one stream to another, they are recommending anglers be diligent about cleaning their gear. Better safe than sorry.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !

Sadly, we continue to farm our fish like livestock and this will continue to happen and it's happening all over the country. And with the warming water temps, this will just increase the parasites.

Sorry to hear about that Jimmy. Hopefully, it does not spread and become an epidemic in other streams like it has in other states.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Just received this from DNR concerning the Soque.

I sure hope you guys can limit the impact. Keep us updated, the Soque is a beautiful fishery! Good luck, Jimmy!