What to better understand some of our AAA friends?

Artfuldodger

I think it's a balance of mind, body, and spirit. Perhaps the two "networks" as the guy calls them is our physical mind and our spiritual soul.

Belief in a God brings us peace of mind to answer the unanswered. To give us hope of everlasting life. To know that someone greater than us is always in control.

Therefore believers answered the questions with their spiritual entity and the non-believers answered with their physical entity.

The balance of God vs science comes more from how much we believe God was the Great Scientist and does in fact use science in his creation and operation.

Regardless there has to be a balance between God & science, the physical & spiritual, and our "mind, body, & spirit."

atlashunter

I think it's a balance of mind, body, and spirit. Perhaps the two "networks" as the guy calls them is our physical mind and our spiritual soul.

Belief in a God brings us peace of mind to answer the unanswered. To give us hope of everlasting life. To know that someone greater than us is always in control.

Therefore believers answered the questions with their spiritual entity and the non-believers answered with their physical entity.

The balance of God vs science comes more from how much we believe God was the Great Scientist and does in fact use science in his creation and operation.

Regardless there has to be a balance between God & science, the physical & spiritual, and our "mind, body, & spirit."

The utility of a belief and its truthfulness are separate matters. Believers seem to place greater value on the former and nonbelievers on the latter.

Israel

BANNED
The utility of a belief and its truthfulness are separate matters. Believers seem to place greater value on the former and nonbelievers on the latter.

That sword cuts both ways, I would think you can see that.

gordon 2

Here are some hightlights:

Their research found that those with religious or spiritual beliefs appeared to suppress the brain network used for analytical thinking in order to engage the network for empathetic thinking. Equally, those who were non-religious showed they suppressed their empathetic thinking for analytical thinking

"Religion has no place telling us about the physical structure of the world; that's the business of science. Science should inform our ethical reasoning, but it cannot determine what is ethical or tell us how we should construct meaning and purpose in our lives."

"Far from always conflicting with science, under the right circumstances religious belief may positively promote scientific creativity and insight,”...

gordon 2

It seems to me that as a means of getting social insight Christianity has some truthfulness to it? No?

Christianity is unabashedly emotional in nature, especially that it's God is emotional.

Paul's ministry of love and his emphasis on the sacrifice of the cross and the born again experience itself that reforms an individual's makeup from both an intellectual and emotional experience and on to outlook, seem to have contributed to significant social insights these last two thousand yrs.

It can be argued that some were not so positive but some were...

And possibly it can be argued successfully that the intellectual prowess of western civilization has it's genesis in Christianity's push at liberalizing and expanding knowledge in academics and the sciences as tools to further the goals sought by their emotional insights due faith.

Quote{Science should inform our ethical reasoning, but it cannot determine what is ethical or tell us how we should construct meaning and purpose in our lives."} end quote. ???

atlashunter

It seems to me that as a means of getting social insight Christianity has some truthfulness to it? No?

Christianity is unabashedly emotional in nature, especially that it's God is emotional.

Paul's ministry of love and his emphasis on the sacrifice of the cross and the born again experience itself that reforms an individual's makeup from both an intellectual and emotional experience and on to outlook, seem to have contributed to significant social insights these last two thousand yrs.

It can be argued that some were not so positive but some were...

Not sure what you mean by social insights. I would agree that it can be used to rally people around a positive cause.

And possibly it can be argued successfully that the intellectual prowess of western civilization has it's genesis in Christianity's push at liberalizing and expanding knowledge in academics and the sciences as tools to further the goals sought by their emotional insights due faith.

Quote{Science should inform our ethical reasoning, but it cannot determine what is ethical or tell us how we should construct meaning and purpose in our lives."} end quote. ???

I wonder what Galileo might have to say about that?

I think the quote about science determining what is ethical is slightly off the mark. Yes it should inform us. The better understanding we have of reality the better decisions we can make. But the tool that best answers the ethical questions is the same tool that employs the methodology of science to answer questions about the natural world. That tool is reason. Superstition just gets in the way of reason.

Reminds me of the answer Bertrand Russell gave to the question what message would he give to people living a thousand years from now.

I should like to say two things, one intellectual and one moral:

The intellectual thing I should want to say to them is this: When you are studying any matter or considering any philosophy, ask yourself only what are the facts and what is the truth that the facts bear out. Never let yourself be diverted either by what you wish to believe or by what you think would have beneficent social effects if it were believed, but look only and solely at what are the facts. That is the intellectual thing that I should wish to say.

The moral thing I should wish to say to them is very simple. I should say: Love is wise, hatred is foolish. In this world, which is getting more and more closely interconnected, we have to learn to tolerate each other. We have to learn to put up with the fact that some people say things that we don’t like. We can only live together in that way, and if we are to live together and not die together we must learn a kind of charity and a kind of tolerance which is absolutely vital to the continuation of human life on this planet.